Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declaring February 2018 "Credit Blitz Month"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Declaring February 2018 "Credit Blitz Month"

@Anonymous wrote:

When kids come along it screws everything up for parents financially because there are so many gotchas.  None of the financial planning apps do a good job there.  I've been harping on one of my Facebook groups to folks planning kids to start the day the stick turns blue, not 9 months later, lol.  Still, people always send me horror stories about the financial situations going upside down right away.  I don't have kids (yet) so I'm not one to suggest parenting advice, but when it comes to financially planning for it, there's millions to be made if someone would make a solid family financial planning app that one can start using the minute the pregnancy is confirmed!

The scope of your project grows with every post.  Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I've never been good at convincing new parents to make huge financial changes when they're having anxiety.  Maybe 5% of new parent folks who ask for help end up going the route I'll suggest.

I was working with some new parents back in 2015 who had crazy high income but after the kid came around they were totally blown away by anxiety about the kid's future, their future, etc.  After almost a year of yelling at me, they finally sold their mega house, got rid of thousands of pounds of useless stuff and moved into a two bedroom rental and changed things significantly.  Now in 2018 they're on full track for an amazing future, but it literally took almost a full 2 years to get there.  Now they're praising my name and plan to other parents who come up with every consumer-minded excuses why they can't do the same thing.  "Oh but my 6 month old has to go to this one certain school district" or "Little Janie needs 700 new toys every month because Disney tells me so."  Ugh.

I grew up pretty much dirt poor with immigrant parents who had no clue what was going on in the world, but I am thankful I got to experience "middle class poverty" as a kid.  It really helped me later.  If and when I become a dad, I'm hopeful that I can make the right changes to create opportunities rather than just entitlements.  Gah.

Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The scope of your project grows with every post.  Smiley Happy

You'd think, but as I just said, parents don't trust non-parents with financial advice, even if that non-parents has a 10 year track record of doling out exceptional financial advice for parents.

One big thing to keep in mind if you aren't a parent is that marketing absolutely hammers parents constantly using fear methods to get them to spend or buy or malinvest because if they don't, their neighbors will frown on them.  Non-parents don't even look at these insidious methods of marketing (or you may not even know they exist) but I am very active in monitoring consumer culture and reporting to folks about it.

The current ploys used to extract future wealth from parents today cost the average family over $140,000 per kid by the time that kid is 18 (accumulating at $0.50 per hour for every hour until they're 18).  That's more than enough money to pay for a kid's entire college or give them a rental apartment to make a future on.  And that average is probably low because the past 3-4 years has been a tripling in "you're a bad parent unless you do this" marketing hype.

I absolutely lostly my s__t a few years ago when the Bumbo Seat was the big thing.  I usually don't rant and throw things and threaten hellfire, but when I met up with a parenting group and they were all crowing about them, oh man did I lose it.

Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you even managed a decent life following a decent education despite not going to that elite pre-K.  How ever did you manage? 

I am a mod on a sub-reddit that helps kids get into college.  Well I should say ex-mod because I kept telling kids they didn't *have to go to Harvard* that they didn't even *have to go to a four year school right away*... and that was not taken well by helicopter parents who insisted Johnny or Janie deserved the best and how dare I with my public school education criticize them for wanting to do better than my parents could ever do for me. Smiley Happy

Edit: although I did just have problems coming up with the formula for compound interest done more than semi-annually... so.. who knows?

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

This post isn't for anyone whose against tax refunds or mad that they don't recieve one. I only get a refund of the two refundable credits, nothing more, nothing less so I'm not "lending the government" anything. So what I do receive, I do plan on paying down some debts... Anyone else???? Will you offer PFD's?

Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you get a refund if you don't pay anything in?

Message 16 of 30
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, I've never been good at convincing new parents to make huge financial changes when they're having anxiety.  Maybe 5% of new parent folks who ask for help end up going the route I'll suggest.

I was working with some new parents back in 2015 who had crazy high income but after the kid came around they were totally blown away by anxiety about the kid's future, their future, etc.  After almost a year of yelling at me, they finally sold their mega house, got rid of thousands of pounds of useless stuff and moved into a two bedroom rental and changed things significantly.  Now in 2018 they're on full track for an amazing future, but it literally took almost a full 2 years to get there.  Now they're praising my name and plan to other parents who come up with every consumer-minded excuses why they can't do the same thing.  "Oh but my 6 month old has to go to this one certain school district" or "Little Janie needs 700 new toys every month because Disney tells me so."  Ugh.

I grew up pretty much dirt poor with immigrant parents who had no clue what was going on in the world, but I am thankful I got to experience "middle class poverty" as a kid.  It really helped me later.  If and when I become a dad, I'm hopeful that I can make the right changes to create opportunities rather than just entitlements.  Gah.

The fact that you recognize the difference means you'll succeed when the time comes. 

Don't even get me started about Disney crap.... Grrr....

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you read my reddit history you'd see most of my posts are about wealth building.  I took a 1 year hiatus from Reddit and never went back, lol.  My inbox is crazy right now, thousands of people begging for new posts, haha.

I have no education.  I made the decision at 13 that college was a waste of money and am thankful every day that I argued with my parents, teachers, counselors and coeds 30 years ago.  I was the first one of my class to retire even though I've had 3 credit rebuilds in my life from poor planning.  A lot of my peers will be paying off loans until they're 70 -- no, thanks.

The difference for me was learning about compound interest young.  A kid who starts working and saving at 15 can be retired by age 25 (for real).  In fact, the data points today make it even easier.  That's assuming that kid wants to avoid what normal kids think they want thanks to the insidious marketing and social networking phenomenon.  In my local FIRE group we have over 30 "kids" under the age of 27 who are 100% fully retired now.  None came from wealth, none had parents who gave them anything but free rent and meals.  None of them went to college or had high paying jobs.  It's incredible to witness every weekly meeting because it's doable for anyone in any financial situation (as a kid).

Compound interest -- if you start at 15 or 16, you get to skip 100% of the financial horrors the rest of us had to learn the hard way.

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This post isn't for anyone whose against tax refunds or mad that they don't recieve one. I only get a refund of the two refundable credits, nothing more, nothing less so I'm not "lending the government" anything. So what I do receive, I do plan on paying down some debts... Anyone else???? Will you offer PFD's?

I'd say you take your tax credit "refund" and split it into three groups in this order:

1. Emergency savings -- if you don't have at least one entire month in emergency savings, top it off to get there.
  2. Whatever is left put towards credit building -- if you don't have 3 CCs and an installment loan, put the money towards the Alliant SSL first and then the proceeds to making sure you have 3 CCs (secured is fine).
  3. Whatever is left from that put towards negotiating PFD.  Send PFDs out to everyone with all the necessary verbiage and let them know that whoever agrees to it first is going to get the money first.  I'm actually writing a "PFD Letter Generator" this week to help folks write PFD letters properly.

Savings, then build credit, then pay off derogatories.  That's the best plan with any extra funds each month/year.

Message 19 of 30
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like you even managed a decent life following a decent education despite not going to that elite pre-K.  How ever did you manage? 

I am a mod on a sub-reddit that helps kids get into college.  Well I should say ex-mod because I kept telling kids they didn't *have to go to Harvard* that they didn't even *have to go to a four year school right away*... and that was not taken well by helicopter parents who insisted Johnny or Janie deserved the best and how dare I with my public school education criticize them for wanting to do better than my parents could ever do for me. Smiley Happy

Edit: although I did just have problems coming up with the formula for compound interest done more than semi-annually... so.. who knows?

Yeah, this just kills me. I went to a two year community college for cheap, then transferred to a nice local 4 year university to finish. And saved a ton of money. My chosen field doesn't care where you went, just as long as you graduate, have the required hands on time, and have your passing certification from the monster test. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.