Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete dispute comments? Any point?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delete dispute comments? Any point?

On my 30 day late with my Shell card, it shows "Consumer disputes" on the file. Is there any reason to ask the CBAs to delete my dispute comments? I only ask because I see some other folks on here who are asking the CBA to delete their comments and it got me wondering if there is any benefit to that?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Delete dispute comments? Any point?

Dispute comments can potentially nullify a trade line from being factored into your credit score.  Key word here is trade line.....not public record, not collection account.

Because of that reason, dispute comments are almost always required by lenders to be removed before they provide a loan for a mortgage.

There are still risks involved with removing dispute comments, so please research your situation carefully before taking action.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@basballguy wrote:

Dispute comments can potentially nullify a trade line from being factored into your credit score.  Key word here is trade line.....not public record, not collection account.

Because of that reason, dispute comments are almost always required by lenders to be removed before they provide a loan for a mortgage.

There are still risks involved with removing dispute comments, so please research your situation carefully before taking action.

Interesting! So it's definitely advantageous to attach dispute comments to a trade line? But when applying for a mortgage, you'll be required to remove them?

Message 3 of 6
Kixforpa
Contributor

Can you please elaborate on your comment?

"There are still risks involved with removing dispute comments, so please research your situation carefully before taking action." Can you give me an example of a risk that might occur?

~Rebuilding Our Lives~
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kixforpa wrote:

"There are still risks involved with removing dispute comments, so please research your situation carefully before taking action." Can you give me an example of a risk that might occur?

I'm guessing they might delete the tradeline. Heard that happened to someone else who only asked them to delete the comment.

Message 5 of 6
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

@Kixforpa wrote:

One example off the top of my head would be removing dispute comments from a collection while within the SOL.  An OCA could see that as you're obviously invested in cleaning up your report and turn around and sue you.  Granted, that might be rare...but an example. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.