Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted item on credit report does it come back

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deleted item on credit report does it come back

Hello i was wondering if u dispute a item on your credit report would it come back? Its been 8 months since i won the dispute and wanting to get a house next year just need to know and prepare for it....

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Deleted item on credit report does it come back

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello i was wondering if u dispute a item on your credit report would it come back? Its been 8 months since i won the dispute and wanting to get a house next year just need to know and prepare for it....

It depends on whether or not its passed the max time it can report which is 7.5 yrs from the accounts DoFD. It its an unpaid item and can be reported expect it to return once they are notified of mortgage pulls. If this was an ID Theft related account they I would expect it not to return as its been perm excluded.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Deleted item on credit report does it come back

Yes, an item deleted as a result of a dispute can be reinserted.

However, there is a required process that must be complied with.

If you dispute the accuracy of an item of information and the finding of a dispute does not either verify the accuracy as reported or correct any agreed inaccuracy, the CRA is required to delete the item of information as a finding in their dispute.  See FCRA 611(a)(5)(a)(i).

However, that deletion is not absolute.

It is based only on the fact that, as of the conclusion date of the dispute, the information could not be verified or corrected.

If, at any later time, the furnisher can correct or verify the accuracy, they can re-report the deleted information and have it reinserted.

However, they must follow the reinsertion requirements set forth in FCRA 611(a)(5)(B), which mandates that the missing verification of accuracy must be provided along with the request for reinsertion.  More specifically, they must include a "certification of accuracy" of the previously deleted information, which then acts to overcome the prior lack of verification.

If the CRA receives a request for reinsertion that meets the certification of accuray requirment, they can immediately reinsert the information.  However, they must send the consumer a written notification that the information has been reinserted.

Thus, you dont have to continuously monitor your credit report to find that information previously deleted based on the lack of verification in a prior dispute has been reinserted.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.