Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Cap 1 Account Or Paying Off Balance to $0

tag
SimplyTheBest
Established Member

Deleting Cap 1 Account Or Paying Off Balance to $0

After what seems like an eternity my credit scores are inching back into the range of the national average. The major thing keeping my score down at this point is an old Capital One credit card account.

The account had an initial balance of around $300 when I ran into a financial disaster and now reports a balance of over $1,600 with fees and penalties; this keeps my utilization level at over 300%. While I don’t know the exact impact this has on my credit report I imagine my FICO scores will increase by at least 20 – 30 points once I can get my utilization under 10%. While the account was closed by Capital One in 2003 and I have made no payment since then, the account status is reported as open to the credit bureaus and it has not been sold to a collection agency.

The account is due to fall off my credit reports next fall (September 2010) but I would like to do what I can to improve the situation before that. I called and spoke with a fairly aggressive and hardnosed rep at Capital One who said they would definitely not agree to remove the account for full payment. If I can’t get the account removed completely I would be happy to have the balance reported as $0 so long as it did not mean the account will stay on my credit reports past next September.

My question is: Is there a way to pay the balance due without increasing the recent activity on the account and resetting the 7 year clock for it to stay on my credit report? Is there any specific language I should use when negotiating with Cap One? Any other suggestions to reduce or eliminate the impact this account is having on my credit scores? Or is my best bet to do nothing until the account falls off my credit reports?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

Re: Deleting Cap 1 Account Or Paying Off Balance to $0

1.)Is it within your State's SOL?

2.)Are you planning on a mayor purchase (house, auto) before Sept. 2010?

3.)Do you feel a moral obligation to pay back a lender who recieved 3.56 Billion dollars in taxpayers money?

If you can answer NO to all 3 of the questions I would tell Cap1 to FOAD.

You can improve you utilization by securing other credit- I suggest Kay Jewelers- (then try for the Sterling Trifecta if you really want to get the Util. down)

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can do as suggest and tell Cap 1 that, and they can sell this off/assign it to a CA and you can have both reporting.

Is this marked as a CO on your report?

Is it beyond SOL?

If beyond SOL and already marked a CO, I would attempt to settle in full for less than the full balance.

It will be marked settled, but the balance will be $0.

Once an account reaches collection/charge off/other similar action, DOFD can't be changed. So, paying it should not extend the 7 year limit.

Message 3 of 5
SimplyTheBest
Established Member

I'm in California and the SOL has expired. However with the housing market as it is I would love to buy my first home as soon as possible.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent you a pm about this. Check your inbox.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.