cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delinquent account paid. Now collection shows on TU?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delinquent account paid. Now collection shows on TU?

I’m very new to credit management and thought I was doing well building my file but now I find a wrench thrown in the works.

I had two delinquent tuition bills for my university which apparently were sent to a collection agency in September. The agency reps called and left voice mail and also sent me 30 day verification letters. I didn’t respond to the letters nor did I answer their calls. Last week I paid the tuition due directly to student accounts at school and am cleared to register for new classes. I assumed that the school would notify the collection agency that the debt was paid and cleared.

This morning I find that the collection agency has reported the account as an open collection account from September and a balance is outstanding. The balance they report is what I paid directly to school.

Not sure how to address this now. The school still owned the debt (as far as I know). I don’t know who to contact first regarding this situation. I also don’t know what I should be asking them to do.

So my questions:

1. Do I contact student accounts or the collection agency?
2. What do I ask them to do? Delete or update the derogatory to show paid in full?
3. How do I minimize effect on my FICO score? TU vantage on credit karma shows a drop of 89 points from these two derogatories. I will get my TU FICO update from Experian Creditworks in three weeks so not sure what it will show.

😢
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Delinquent account paid. Now collection shows on TU?

You want to get rid of these ASAP call the collector and let them know you have already paid the debt with the OC and if they need you to send proof of payment send it over to them with the promise they will DELETE it from ALL 3 of your CB's!!!       You shouldn't be paying twice and if you paid the OC and they are saying you are up to date with the account still with them then the Collectors can't collect on false information.

Message 2 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Go to the source that placed it to a collection agency. Ask them to recall the CA since it was paid. Welcome to the forums!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Go to the source that placed it to a collection agency. Ask them to recall the CA since it was paid. Welcome to the forums!

+1

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to all of you for advising on the situation (and for welcoming me to the forums). I reached out to the University accounts department today. They called back the collection agency and said a deletion request was submitted to TU. Hopefully it won’t take too long to see it removed on my credit report.

Whew! Thank goodness!
Message 5 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Awesome! Congrats! Give it 30 days or so.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.