cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied a TJ Maxx Store Card, Credit Score of 705 - ????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied a TJ Maxx Store Card, Credit Score of 705 - ????

Hi, I went through a major illness in 2013.  Defaulted on 2 small credit cards and my school loan.  Tried to "make it" through to the Affordable Care Act in 2014 without health insurance but didn't make it, credit was "dinged" with 9 seperate medical bills from ER visits.  Fast forward - all medical Dings payed down, disputed off of all beureaus.  School loan rehabbed, being payed down again.  Only 2 dings remain from 2013, the 2 small credit cards of 600 limit each.  These cards have been paid off to the collection agencies and show a zero balance but are still on the reports.  Credit score is now 705 on all 3 beureaus.  New secured CC, limit 1000.

Went to TJ Maxx, applied for a Store Card.  Got Denied.  Will appeal when the letter arrives stating the reason but want to know why?  Is it due to the 2 dings that still show from 5 years ago???  Can I have those removed due to the fact that they were caused by an illness?

Thanks in advance for your information.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
cyrusvalentino
Frequent Contributor

Re: Denied a TJ Maxx Store Card, Credit Score of 705 - ????

If the two 2 ding's are paid, I would send GW letters to the OC to ask that the accounts be removed due to medical hardship and mention the payment to try to correct the wrong now that you are doing better. Remember to humbly ask and not demand, they are not legally required to remove the accounts. But if you request removal through GW letter many people have had success.

Your denial could have been from a number of factors I'm sure the 2 dings factored in but with the limited information provided, it is hard to say. But the denial letter will tell you why and give you a good starting point on what to work on to get approval in the future.

Starting Score (12/01/2021):

Current Score (03/01/2022):

Goal Score (01/01/2023):

Other Stats:

Message 2 of 29
Miner
Frequent Contributor

People tend to over-emphasize scores rather than the other information that can have a bigger impact on approvals.  You mentioned your negatives, but what about your positives?  What open accounts do you currently have and when were they opened?

You mentioned a new secured CC.  If that is all you have open, then that is likely the issue as your existing credit is too new. Let it age to be at least 6 months with all positive history before trying again. Given your current scores, you don't need the small credit score bump you'd get for having 3 opened CCs.  A second CC might be helpful, but you really don't need to get a sub-prime CC just to get one as you'll hate it in 6 to 9 months when you qualify for better.  I think with your scores, if you had some positive history for awhile, you'd have no trouble getting a few good cards even with the negatives.

Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for your replies.  You are correct - since 2013 I was very upset about what happened to me financially as a result of my illness, and I had decided to be on the Dave Ramsey financial plan and to not participate in credit.  It was only last year in the end of 2016 and beginning of 2017 that I decided to get off the Dave Ramsey plan which advocates just doing everything in cash and cutting out credit beureaus completely, and start to rebuild my credit.  I payed down and disputed off each medical bill over the course of 2017 from all 3 Beureaus, rehabbed my school loan of $7,000 at the end of 2017 using a company called ConServ (it now shows as a current account), and then got the secured CC in January of 2018 (Skypass Visa which lets me earn flyer miles) limit $1000 which popped my score into the 700s.  I used a credit simulator on the app CreditWise to figure out how to do this.  So I have a high score BUT - my credit is still "too new" for stores to take a chance on me. I now realize that thanks to your advice.   I will wait till around August or September of this year to try to get a store card.  It's a shame because I always shop at TJ Maxx to get deep discounts on things I need, but still can't get a card there.  I was advised by a friend that store cards are a good way to churn points to your credit rating - if you buy something and then pay it down immediately, you can get extra points.     

Thanks for the info re: the Good Will letters.  I will get on that pronto.  The 2 dings are an HSBC card and a Capital One card each with a limit of 600 which were taken over by the collection agency "Portfolio Recovery".  The rest of the dings could be disputed off because they were Medical.  These dings happend AS A RESULT of a Medical situation but are not Medical in nature so I needed some extra info to figure out how to get them off.  Thank You!

Message 4 of 29
cyrusvalentino
Frequent Contributor

Store cards are easier to get but only specific ones, for example some store cards are Visa or MasterCard and can be used anywhere and are harder to get.

Your best bet for store cards right now based on age of your credit would to try the shopping cart trick cards “SCT”, search the forums and you’ll find topics on how to do this. The easiest is Victoria Secret, Wayfair, and/or quite a few others but there is a large list of Comenity cards that work with SCT and I’d advise doing that so you don’t take a hard hit for just getting an unsecured line of credit for a store card to establish a positive payment history.

Edit: Wanted to add a link with more info: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/shopping-cart-trick-get-credit-cards-without-the-hard-pull/

Goal Score (01/01/2023):

Other Stats:

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, wish I had checked this forum before attempting to get the TJ Maxx store card and subjecting my newly minted credit to a hard pull.  I even thought of the Victorias Secret card but it was farther away from my home so I went to TJ Maxx first.  GREAT info, Thank You!

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Wow, wish I had checked this forum before attempting to get the TJ Maxx store card and subjecting my newly minted credit to a hard pull.  I even thought of the Victorias Secret card but it was farther away from my home so I went to TJ Maxx first.  GREAT info, Thank You!

Have you heard of the Shopping Cart Trick? Victoria's Secret is one of the cards that may offer you a pre-approved card when you have something in your cart on their website. This is a soft pull, not a hard pull.  It's not encouraged to have too many store cards, but if this is one you would benefit from, this is a way to get it without a hard pull.

EDIT:  LOL just now seeing the post about SCT. Sorry!!! 

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do NOT do the SCT since it no longer works with soft pulls. Most of the time it will result in a hard pull on your Experian report. It's really not worth it just to get a store card with very limited use. 

Message 8 of 29
cyrusvalentino
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Do NOT do the SCT since it no longer works with soft pulls. Most of the time it will result in a hard pull on your Experian report. It's really not worth it just to get a store card with very limited use. 

Joe I would disagree with your assessment, you do not have to click apply to get the popup for preapproval and 99.99% of the time if you get a pop-up saying you are preapproved you are approved. Do they pull your credit? Yes, but you will actually get a card. Versus hoping and praying or blind applying. The same could be said of any prequal from Capital One or any other major credit card, you can be prequal but they still pull your credit. The only difference is where with major credit cards you still have a good chance of being not qualified after receiving a prequal, with the SCT you are approved I've not heard of anyone getting the popup and not being approved. As far as the limited use arguement, I feel it is a horrible view with someone just starting to build their credit.

If they shop a lot at the retailer the discounts could help them save money, and help their credit. How you ask? While the card may start with low CL, on store cards the CLI's come rather quickly and for example with Victoria Secret I've seen cards with over $20,000 in CL. If you show you can use and manage a store card it does carry weight. It can also help keep your utilization low. The only negative is it'll lower the AAoA, however with the OP's AAoA already low as they are just now building credit I don't see how it would hurt them at this time. But that's my thoughts.

Goal Score (01/01/2023):

Other Stats:

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Hi, I went through a major illness in 2013.  Defaulted on 2 small credit cards and my school loan.  Tried to "make it" through to the Affordable Care Act in 2014 without health insurance but didn't make it, credit was "dinged" with 9 seperate medical bills from ER visits.  Fast forward - all medical Dings payed down, disputed off of all beureaus.  School loan rehabbed, being payed down again.  Only 2 dings remain from 2013, the 2 small credit cards of 600 limit each.  These cards have been paid off to the collection agencies and show a zero balance but are still on the reports.  Credit score is now 705 on all 3 beureaus.  New secured CC, limit 1000.

Went to TJ Maxx, applied for a Store Card.  Got Denied.  Will appeal when the letter arrives stating the reason but want to know why?  Is it due to the 2 dings that still show from 5 years ago???  Can I have those removed due to the fact that they were caused by an illness?

Thanks in advance for your information.

Where are you getting your credit score from?

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.