Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied at Budget rental car counter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied at Budget rental car counter

Hi. Does anyone know the credit score needed to rent from Budget? I was denied at the counter when trying to use my debit card due to the credit check (score 590 as I'm trying to build) and the wouldn't give the score that's needed. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied at Budget rental car counter

I don't know the answer to the score requirement question. But, why don't you consider getting a secured credit card with a high enough limit to cover the cost of your typical rental period (+ a bit more as they often authorize the rental cost + a small %)? This would side step the need for a credit check when using a debit card. 

Message 2 of 8
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

They prefer Credit Card. Some companies would not rent a car with Debit Card and they might need a flight ticket. I would suggest gettng your self a secured card to use it for Car Renting purposes.

Message 3 of 8
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi. Does anyone know the credit score needed to rent from Budget? I was denied at the counter when trying to use my debit card due to the credit check (score 590 as I'm trying to build) and the wouldn't give the score that's needed. Thanks. 

When our businesses failed nearly 10 years ago I started living exclusively on my Debit Cards; that lasted until June of last year when I got my first real credit card following my Chapter 13 discharge.  In the nearly 8 years I went without a credit card, I wasn't once able to rent a car at a major airport with a debit card; regardless of my credit rating or how much money I had in the bank.  That said, if you call around you can usually find a few local rental branches (i.e. not located on or near an airport) which will allow you to rent with a debit card.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 4 of 8
AlleyCat26
New Visitor

Enterprise will normally let you rent from an airport I've had to do it recently.  Good Luck

Message 5 of 8
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

I went to Budget and rented with a debit card about 10 months ago. It was off-site from the airport. I went ahead and paid for a week since it was cheaper. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What needs to be understood is that debit card policies are going to vary by rental car company and even location (airport vs. off site) within the same rental car company.  There is no consistent rule on debit card usage. 

Additionally, there are several glaring reasons that I would never advocate using a debit card for a rental car.  

The best, safest, most reliable method for the OP in their current situation is to obtain a secured credit card with an adequate limit. They are not going to increase their credit score overnight. They can get a secured card fairly quickly though (if they have the cash on hand to obtain the card). 

Message 7 of 8
jmw1
Frequent Contributor

As others have said, the solution is not to show a more favorable credit score. The solution is to save up and get a secured credit card.

It's pretty humiliating to be denied at the airport because you don't have a credit card. Or if you have to use cash at a motel because your bank account is near zero. The motel will not give you your cash deposit back until a housekeeper takes a look at your room. At least if you used a debit card, you won't have the humiliating housekeeper check. These two examples are good reasons to get a secured Visa/MC credit card as soon as possible. Get that $1000 in emergency funds saved up and put it in as a deposit for a secured card. 

I've also found that debit cards for are fine for lodging, off airport rental car locations, Uhaul, and Budget trucks. You can limp along ok without a credit card for sure but it would be better to have one credit card in your wallet.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.