Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Department Store Credit Card HELP!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Department Store Credit Card HELP!

I work for a department store in which we solicit credit cards for the store. When starting employement there in 2011 , I too opened up a card. It was my first credit card. By the time I had worked there for 4 years and paying on it monthly, my credit limit went from $300 to $3400.  I fell behind on the credit card payment for 3 months in 2014. The collection was sold to Midland Credit.

Fast forward to Oct 2017, I worked out a PFD with Midland. The collection/charge off  was removed completely from all 3 credit reports after payment was received from November 2017. However the department store is still reporting for closed collection/charge off on my credit reports.

How can I go about getting this entry removed? Would a goodwill letter be appropiate? If so, should I divulge that I currently still work for the company in the letter?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Department Store Credit Card HELP!

A good will letter to whomever is reporting the CO is necessary to ask for its removal. I see no reason to mention you still work for the company.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would dispute it with all CRA's.... Being the debt is pretty old and has been sold to midland, 9 time out of 10 the store will not respond and for that reason the debt should be removed from your credit! I would only send a goodwill as a last resort.

@Anonymous wrote:

I work for a department store in which we solicit credit cards for the store. When starting employement there in 2011 , I too opened up a card. It was my first credit card. By the time I had worked there for 4 years and paying on it monthly, my credit limit went from $300 to $3400.  I fell behind on the credit card payment for 3 months in 2014. The collection was sold to Midland Credit.

Fast forward to Oct 2017, I worked out a PFD with Midland. The collection/charge off  was removed completely from all 3 credit reports after payment was received from November 2017. However the department store is still reporting for closed collection/charge off on my credit reports.

How can I go about getting this entry removed? Would a goodwill letter be appropiate? If so, should I divulge that I currently still work for the company in the letter?

Thanks in advance!

Good Luck and keep us posted on how this works out for you! 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What should I write in my dispute being that I payed Midland by PFD and the department store is still showing on the CRs?  Also, should I dispute online or is it better to mail in?  Thanks for all the help!

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Filing of any dispute requires that you identify a specific inaccuracy in reported information.

What is the inaccuracy that would be basis for your dispute?

Additionally, a dispute results in verification, correction, or if neither is done, deletion of the disputed information.

Unless the inaccuracy relates to the debt per se, a dispute resolution would not mandate deletion of the entire OC account, or of any derogs reported thereunder.

It is a common misconception that disputing any inaccuracy mandates, if the accuracy is not verified or corrected, deletion of the entire OC account.

The post does not contest that the debt is not valid.  Thus, there appears no basis for a dispute of the validity of the debt, or of delinquency in its payment.

Disputing may result simply in dismissal of the entire dispute as lacking any showing of an inaccuracy in reporting.

It may also prompt ill-will on the part of the creditor in responding to a dispute that does not support any inaccuracy, and thus act contrary to any good-will deletion by the creditor.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertEG, TU has the store reporting as a charge-off in the amount of $1374, EX is reporting Closed.$1756 written off and EQ is reporting $1374 charged off. 

Would a goodwill letter still be appropriate in this case? I'm unsure of why TU is reporting a different or if it even matters.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can always dispute the accuracy of any reported information, but a dispute always provides the furnisher (in this case, the original creditor) the right to correct the reporting so as to overcome the asserted inaccuracy.

If the dispute relates to the balance, then resolution will only lead to verification or correction of that item of information, and will not require deletion of any other information or of the entire account, so it might first be more prudent to deal with the issue of the debt before disputing its current value.

Issues pertaining to the amount of a charged-off debt can vary depending upon what has been reported, and what you consider to be the accurate amount.

First, the amount of a charged-off debt is separately reported at two different codes.  It is reported as the amount of the debt at time of the charge-off, which is a sticky amount that does not change if the debt increases due to addtion of other fees or interest, of decreases due to partial of full payments.  The current account balance separately reports the current amount of the debt, which can be more or less than the debt amount at time of charge-off.

Are the amounts referenced in the post a statement of the debt at time of charge-off, or is it the current balance with a continued current delinquency status of CO?

Second, if the amount relates to the current balance, once you pay it, it will then be updated to $0, so if you have already paid the debt, then you are waiting for the creditor to be notified by the debt collector of the payment, and then the creditor must update to $0  Thus, it might be prudent to wait for the credtior to update before filing any disputes.

Yes, you can always contact the creditor and request that they grant a voluntary, good-will deletion of any derogatory reporting they have made, or even to delete their entire account.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.