Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detective Work.

tag
DarkMoonLily
Frequent Contributor

Detective Work.

Hi everyone! It's been a hot minute since I last posted in the FICO forums and I'm looking for some help! I am currently working on getting some collections off my credit report and getting my score back up. On all 3 reports, I have debts with USCB, Ability Recovery Services and JH Portfolio Debt Equities. However, on my TU and only my TU report it shows another debt with Ability Recovery. I called Ability Recovery and they only show 1 account and its not the second one on the TU report. They suggest maybe it was sent to another agency and suggested calling the school that the debt originated from, so, i do that, the school has only record of the one with USCB (which I took care of already) and not with Ability Recovery and the school suggested that i contact USCB and see if they have the one ability suggests is with another agency (the school says they only use ability and USCB) so.... i contacted USCB and they confirmed they only have the one that i already settled with them and suggested that its a credit reporting error on ability's end and to contact ability recovery again...

So, if you followed along this far... what do you suggest? Do i call back ability and urge them to dig deeper? Do i dispute it? I really would just like to get all of it taken care of so i can focus on other rebuilding activities....

2019 Goals: Garden and Clean up Credit Reports!!!
2020 Goals: Get a Secured Card and Auto Loan.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Detective Work.

Do you recognize the debt, and thus know that it is legit, or do you truly not recognize the asserted debt?

It is unclear from the post as to whether you can legitimately assert that the debt is not yours, or whether you recognize it, but they cannot locate it.......

Message 2 of 4
DarkMoonLily
Frequent Contributor

Well, the school that the debt originally came from, i recognize the school but I don't remember which program the debt came from and the school can't seem to find it in their records except the one from USCB and the schools two agencies dont seem to know either so... 🤷🏻‍♀️

2019 Goals: Garden and Clean up Credit Reports!!!
2020 Goals: Get a Secured Card and Auto Loan.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm assuming from your collectors you have attended the same schools as me. When it came to the issue of removing the accounts, I disputed them via the credit bureaus. I currently have another collection with them (never learned to stay away from the school lol) USCB is horrible on paperwork, they have no intentions of deleting anything. Good luck in your credit journey Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.