cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I do the right thing by paying off these collection accounts?

tag
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Did I do the right thing by paying off these collection accounts?

Over the last year I have been trying hard to fix my credit score.

I wanted to know if you guys think I made the right decision considering the following information?

I have six Sallie Mae 180 day lates, three 90 day lates, a chase 90 day late, and a BOA 30 day late already on my CR.  The last Sallie Mae late will come off in mid-2017.

I had a variety of medical collections on my account and I decided to pay them off even though they were scheduled to fall off my report by late 2015.

I paid a total of $1300 for these accounts and they were removed from my CR.  I am currently trying to pay off 11 collection accounts from a hospital that total $2500.  Once those are paid, I will have no collection accounts on my CR.

The only thing I paid where I think I made the smart move was a medical judgment in the amount of $1100 as they said they would file a motion to vacate so it would be removed from my report.

I just want to know if that $1300 and the $2500 that I am about to pay are/will be worth it considering they would have come off by 2015 and those Sallie Mae lates will hurt my score till 2017?

I paid them in the fear that I would be sued and also for peace of mind.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Did I do the right thing by paying off these collection accounts?

IMO, you did the right thing.  If you ever apply for a mortgage when they ask about outstanding debt you can say you have none.

Message 2 of 7
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

I'm in the same boat as you... but instead of a year, I just started a month ago. And I may have had a lot more negative information.

I have/had 2 unsatisfied judgements, 3 charge-offs, and 3 things in collections.

I paid the 2 judgements, because I wanted that peace of mind of knowing that I can have a bank account without worrying that they were going to levy my money. So even though paid judgements wont help my score, getting rid of that fear in itself was worth it (but I'll also be filing a motion to vacate).

I also had 3 charge-offs that I could not get them to delete for the life of me--granted, I only tried two or three times, but I'm a really impatient person. So I just paid them in full as well, again, JUST to avoid them suing them and placing a judgement, and they're not scheduled to fall off until 2015 and 2016. 

And now all I have left are the 3 things in medical collections.. they're $900 each... so I'm going to be sending PTD letters for each one, and give it 1 month.. if they keep rejecting me, I'm just going to pay them off.

My point is, regardless if they increase your or my score or not, it's a good feeling to know we did the right thing and not have that fear of summons or going after wages/bak accounts, you know? And time and hard effort heals all. 

Oh and I'm so also rehabbing 7 student loans, just made my first payment last month... 

Message 3 of 7
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

Do the right thing and let the chips fall where they may.

Just my opinion.

(nothing wrong with atleast asking for something in return though)
Message 4 of 7
Melanie220
Frequent Contributor

IMO I'm in this one with you too! I have a string of lates from Sallie Mae have you had any luck with gw??? I have about 15 collections on EQ (my worst report) and now I'm down to 5. I'm dedicated to my credit repair and I pay off an item every payday. My only concern now is getting positive payment history? Any suggestions? I only have my student loans which come out of deferment this month. I'm looking to get an secured cc or something
Message 5 of 7
Melanie220
Frequent Contributor

Sorry for typo

Sent from IPhone lol
Message 6 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.