Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I just shoot msyelf in the foot??

tag
germese1975
Regular Contributor

Did I just shoot msyelf in the foot??

I opened my oldest account (open since 1/1996) to make an online payment today. I noticed that my ex-wife (divorced 4 years ago) was listed as an authorized user, so I thought now would be a great time to removed her from the account. She has a different name now, and I have the card, so I was really in no danger of her accessing the account. It was just the principal of having her credit reporting my good TL.

Anyway... I called customer support to remove her. I hear some keyboard clicking and the customer service rep says "Ok. The account number is closed out, and a new account and card will be sent to your address." I fought for her to reverse the process citing my AAoA. Of course, once it's in the system, there is no turning back. She assured me that all information will transfer over to the new number. In my mind, it's going to show as a new account. I've not had any experience with transferring an account to a new number. After I hung up worried about my AAoA, it occurred to me that stolen credit cards would have to get new accounts too, right? So I guess my question is, should I expect the new account number to have the original accounts information on it, including opening date, so I won't need to take a severe AAoA hit?

Gardening as of: 23 JUL 2017 / FICO 8 (As of 14 Jul 2017): EQ: 663, TU: 723, EX: 680

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Did I just shoot msyelf in the foot??

I don't understand why they did that.  All they were supposed to do was remove her name.  Of course, if she actually had a card that would be different.

I can't speak for your situation but, I did have a stolen CC.  They transferred everything to a new account number with the old date opened so I still retained the age.

Message 2 of 7
germese1975
Regular Contributor

Guiness... That's what I thought too! It is my Military Star card. I should have just left it alone since she doesn't even have an ID card anymore!

Hopefully, it will be all the same info and age, just new account number.

Gardening as of: 23 JUL 2017 / FICO 8 (As of 14 Jul 2017): EQ: 663, TU: 723, EX: 680

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Well, I had a Military Star card, and still do.

I had left the service in 1997 and then went back in 2001.  My card was closed and I couldn't use it because of no ID.  When I went back I got a new card but with a new open date on it so it did mess up my AAoA. 

I had had the card since 1990 so it knocked off 7 years of AAoA.

I hope they do not do that to you.  Maybe since I left the service then went back is the difference.

You were safe doing what you did.  Aside from getting on a base/post, which is fairly easy with a pass, they seldom ask for ID with the Star Card.

Message 4 of 7
germese1975
Regular Contributor

Guiness.... On point, as always. She does go on post for our daughters health care from time to time. She uses my daughter's ID to get on post. I wonder, if it does affect my AAoA, if I would be able to get the CRA to link the two. Probably not, though. I was talking to one of my friends that went through a divorce a few years ago. He cancelled everything they had together and started over with no issues. I just feel with the issues I've got on my report, I wouldn't be nearly as lucky as he was in starting off with a decent score.

Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, the CRAs can't do anything about it, it would have to be the CCC that does it.

And actually, I told you wrong.  Your AAoA should not be messed up because both opened and closed cards count toward AAoA.  The new card that reports could cause a point or 2 drop but I don't think that much.

Your AAoA may be adjusted a bit but the old card will still be factored in.  That and the peace of mind the card won't be used.

Message 6 of 7
germese1975
Regular Contributor

Awesome! Thanks for your awesome information, as always, Guiness. Hopefully, I'll dig my way out of this hole once and for all!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.