Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I mess up even worse?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did I mess up even worse?

I have about 9 charge offs (six from late last year and three from earlier this year) that I want to get resolved to repair my credit so I can get ready to buy a home in 2-3 years. I was speaking to my boss about three weeks ago and he was telling me that he used CreditKarma to dispute some negatives off his report by disputing them as "I have no knowledge of this account." and his score went from -76 to almost 700 in a year from doing so. So after he told me that I got on here and read success stories from people having CreditKarma successfully removing negatives off their reports so I decided to try my luck. Today I got a letter today from one of the collections agencies asking to confirm that I'd like to dispute the validity of the debt. After reading the letter, I got an alert from myFICO saying my score dropped a few points. I click the alert and it says "Bad Debt; Placed For Collection;". Is that normal? For my credit score to drop after I begin the disputing process?

Being that I most likely didn't take the right approach at resolving these charge offs, what do you guys recommend I do? By the way, they're all credit card balances which total to $14k.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Did I mess up even worse?

You can do anything CK does on your own. Just Google TU dispute, EQ Dispute and EX Dispute. But. Some creditors will look at the file and there just might be some changes that could hurt you when they update they missed a few late payments or something else. Thats kinda a lot of CO's. Its always better to pay the CO's to reflect that they are now paid and not owed. This may also stop them from going after you with a lawsuit and garnishment. Then you can try the GW  Sat. Tech. here:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/The-Saturation-Technique-Best-GW-adjustment-...

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

i've read that i shouldn't go thru the collection agency. so i should pay the COs to the creditors, right?
Message 3 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Depends on the OC. Some may work with you and some will send you straight to the collections people who bought the account. Call them all and find out who will and who wont work with you. And of course ask for PFD. Good Luck Ralph!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

appreciate it!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.