Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did getting married ruin my credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did getting married ruin my credit?

I've been lurking and searching the forums for months and still feel overwhelmed and unsure, so here goes. 

I have worked really hard to have good credit and have never had a problem getting approved for a card or a loan. Then, I got married. My husband has about $8,000 in unpaid collections (mostly medical) from 4-5 years ago, well before we were married. His credit has gone up significantly since we've been together- he's paid bills on time, opened a few accounts, etc. When I applied for a car loan for around $15k, I was denied. The credit union told me it was due to my husband's credit check. We live in a community property state but I was unaware that they would run his credit if I applied for a loan (without his name on it). I thought that any debts he acquired before we were married wouldn't reflect negatively on me or prevent me from getting a loan. We each have our own checking accounts and we also have a joint checking account- if we didn't have that, perhaps they wouldn't have run both credit checks? 

So I need help on how to proceed in two areas:

1) what is the best way to go about getting those unpaid collections off of his credit report? (we cannot afford to pay them in full and haven't contacted any of the CAs)

2) Is there anything I can do to get my car loan?

I am very appreciative for any guidance. We'd like to buy a house and start a family eventually, but want to make sure we both have decent credit that won't be a bigger burden then it already is. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
superdad
Regular Contributor

Re: Did getting married ruin my credit?

There should be no way that his old accounts would be linked to you, not unless you co-signed on CC or a loan then that account will show up on both CR.  Something isnt adding up here.  How did they run his report with out his SS #?  If the credit union ran it with out his permission i would file a claim aginst them for violating his privacy and fair credit act. 

As far as the CA, how old are they?  Have you ran your and your husbands own credit report?  You need to find out what the drop off date is and let us no what you find out. 

For the car loan, i would go to a different company or buy from the dealer.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. 

When I applied for my loan, they asked for his SSN. They said it was because we're in a community property state. They didn't talk to him directly to get his permission, but I told him they needed his SSN and he gave the ok. Is that not how it is supposed to work? 

I have run both of our reports, yes. His CA are from 4-6 years old. What do you mean by "drop off date?" 

Re: the car loan. I would much prefer to go through my credit union- they have given me the best rates in the past. But regadless of who I buy from, my concern is that if they need to include my husband when they run my credit check, I will get denied. 

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

How old are the man's baddies?  Weigh the cost vs what you can afford and how much longer it will be on the credit report before negotiating.  In the meantime, does he have any positive tradelines?  

Also, add him as an authorized user on your good credit cards (old cards and especially AMEX if you have one).  Make sure he understands the huge favor you are doing for him...but don't give him any of the cards to use or he will ruin your credit too Smiley Very Happy

If you really want a car loan, go apply somewhere else as your single self 

His credit does not affect you if you don't tell anybody about it.

Maybe not the "best" advice but it works if you really need a car.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The thing is- I DID apply as my single self. We did not apply for a loan together. But I was told that because I live in a community property state, they still have to include a spouse's credit history.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The thing is- I DID apply as my single self. 

How did they know to ask for your husband's SSN if you applied as your "single" aka "I'm available to go have drinks with you at some grungy bar"  self?

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Again- because they said I live in a community property state, they need his info. Every time I apply for a loan, I get asked if I'm married. This is just the first time I've said yes.

Message 7 of 16
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...the negatives will remain on his CRA records for 7 years from the last date he paid on the accounts ...that date will be shown in the CRA reports ...it is unlikely that a CA will remove negatives for $8k, they paid hard money for his debt accounts and want something back.

...that said, it behooves you ...and him ...to begin to work to repair his credit ...there is plenty of good advice here in the forums already on that process but it takes time, patience, and persistence ...work on each negative one at a time, step-by-step ...there is no magic wand but there is a rainbow at the end

...my immediate concern would be with your CU ...you apparently have a long relationship with them in good standing ...I would be asking your LO for specific advice on exactly what you need to do to get the auto loan you want now from them ...a good CU LO will help you, if not, ask to speak with another or even their superior ...your situation is specifically why CUs exist ...don't settle for less.

...as others have noted you can always find an auto loan from a dealer if you can document income but the rates will be abusive compared to the normal CU rates ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Again- because they said I live in a community property state, they need his info. Every time I apply for a loan, I get asked if I'm married. This is just the first time I've said yes.

Ah, I see.

My mom has been married to my dad for 40 years.  My dad has BK'ed 2 times.  My mom has perfect credit.

After constnantly being denied for a loan because of my Dad, my mom has learned her lesson and always applies as a "Single" person still looking for her true love.

She picked up a nice silver 2014 Honda Accord with only her name associated with it.   With my Dad, she would still be driving her old junker....the old junker was also bought by her "single" self around 15 years ago...they are married 40 years

My parents live in California, a community property state.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

"...the negatives will remain on his CRA records for 7 years from the last date he paid on the accounts"... so if we pay something on them now (not the full amount), it'll be another 7 years until they are removed? 

We've been working to repair his credit for the past few years, so his credit is fairly decent, considering the CAs. The only negatives he has are these 5-yr-old CAs (there are 11 of them). I'm not sure how to "work on" each one, especially if they won't remove them anyway. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.