Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different DOFD

tag
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

Different DOFD

So...the OC is chase and has DOFD listed as 9/2007. The collection agency that bought this debt has the DOFD as 2/2008! What do I do? Dispute with cRa? I'd really like to pfd this, but they said no originally. Will this give me some leverage?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Different DOFD

@jzsnow wrote:

So...the OC is chase and has DOFD listed as 9/2007. The collection agency that bought this debt has the DOFD as 2/2008! What do I do? Dispute with cRa? I'd really like to pfd this, but they said no originally. Will this give me some leverage?

Well, where are you getting these DOFDs from, just curious?

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 10
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

From my equitax credit report.

Message 3 of 10
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@jzsnow wrote:

From my equitax credit report.

Well, RobertEG is the master with these sorts of scenerios... I hope he comes in and corrects me if I am wrong..

I believe that reporting of DOFD is governed by FCRA 623(a)(5)... 

Essentially it indicates there are a series of steps the CA must use to verify the correct DOFD.. lastly, there is a catch all that if reasonable efforts were made, they can make a best guess as the DOFD as long as its not more recent than the date the obtained rights to collect on the acocunt.

You can dispute this information, but the CA can just simply update their reporting.. 

Any perceived leverage only occurs if they do not correct the information, and you decide to sue. And only then is it a violation if the knowing reported the wrong DOFD and did not correct it...

-scott

Message 4 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@rckstrscott wrote:

@jzsnow wrote:

-scott

The OC is supposed to furnish the CA the DoFD when selling or assigning the debt.  Sometimes they don't.  The CA is supposed to make a goodwill effort to obtain the DoFD from the OC.  If they can't get it they are allowed to make one up, for lack of better terms.  When they do this it is usually the day they acquired the account,

Message 5 of 10
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@rckstrscott wrote:

@jzsnow wrote:

-scott

The OC is supposed to furnish the CA the DoFD when selling or assigning the debt.  Sometimes they don't.  The CA is supposed to make a goodwill effort to obtain the DoFD from the OC.  If they can't get it they are allowed to make one up, for lack of better terms.  When they do this it is usually the day they acquired the account,

Thanks Guiness. That is more clear and concise than what I was driving at.

-scott

Message 6 of 10
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

In my case, the OC does list a DOFD, as does the ca! They just are different. I was hoping to use this to get the ca to pfd.

Message 7 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I wouldn't dispute with the CRAs.  Do a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8) to the CA and specifically ask where the DoFD came from when the OC clearly shows it as 5 months earlier.

Message 8 of 10
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

Are there sample letters for that? And, if I send that letter, can I also add a pfd?? I really just need it gone!

Message 9 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would not do a dispute and request a PFD at the same time.  Here is the template.  If it is to the OC omit the section for the CA. 

“This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

►       (If sent to a debt collector, (CA), it might  be beneficial to also include the blurb:

►  “This is a direct dispute of credit reporting. This is not a request for debt
              validation/verification  under FDCPA §809(b).”.
                  (don’t let them just simply sluff it off as a meaningless  DV letter)

“In compliance with FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at  16 CFR § 660.4, this Notice of Direct dispute includes:

“Identification of the specific information being disputed:
           (specify the account number, and the specific information that is disputed under  that identifying account)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate;    was any reporting in violation of any statutory or  regulatory provisions?  account or express agreements?  CRA reporting gudelines? Account not  yours? etc.)

“Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; it is recommened to also include,  as part of your documentation, at least a copy of the portion only of your  recent credit report showing their reporting of the disputed information was  actually reported to your credit flle.  The implementing rule suggests a  showing  that it appeared in your credit report)

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.