Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different FICO scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Different FICO scores?

I'm in a bit of a rebuilding mode.  I didn't hit rock bottom but I let my credit tank due to personal issues & inattention.

I signed up for Credit Karma & Credit Seasame for credit alerts after getting privacy hack notices from several (!!!) businesses. It's not FICO but it gave me the push I needed to try to get my credit house cleaned up. Looking at these sites & some of their educational tools made me realize after my last student loan & our mortgage was paid off I wouldn't have any open lines of credit. My other cards (2) were closed for lack of use I think. I wasn't using them anymore and hadn't for a while when I got the notice.  So I applied for a CapOne MC. Got approved for $1,500 at first. It incrementally moved to $5,500. I applied for Discover it after getting a letter (my brain went "ooo rewards") and got approved (small limit - only $1,900). Since Discover gives you access, I looked at my FICO (620). This was about a year go. Ok. I'm not sure how to fix it, so I put it on the back burner. I check again last month it's moved to 632.  

I recently got an Ollo card and they let you give you a FICO score as well. Their FICO says 739.  So. I know all 3 bureaus have a differently number but is normal to be that different?  And to these cards display a genuine FICO from one of the 3 bureaus?  If it makes a difference Discover says it's TransUnion Score 8 and the Ollo card says Experian Score 9. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Different FICO scores?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in a bit of a rebuilding mode.  I didn't hit rock bottom but I let my credit tank due to personal issues & inattention.

I signed up for Credit Karma & Credit Seasame for credit alerts after getting privacy hack notices from several (!!!) businesses. It's not FICO but it gave me the push I needed to try to get my credit house cleaned up. Looking at these sites & some of their educational tools made me realize after my last student loan & our mortgage was paid off I wouldn't have any open lines of credit. My other cards (2) were closed for lack of use I think. I wasn't using them anymore and hadn't for a while when I got the notice.  So I applied for a CapOne MC. Got approved for $1,500 at first. It incrementally moved to $5,500. I applied for Discover it after getting a letter (my brain went "ooo rewards") and got approved (small limit - only $1,900). Since Discover gives you access, I looked at my FICO (620). This was about a year go. Ok. I'm not sure how to fix it, so I put it on the back burner. I check again last month it's moved to 632.  

I recently got an Ollo card and they let you give you a FICO score as well. Their FICO says 739.  So. I know all 3 bureaus have a differently number but is normal to be that different?  And to these cards display a genuine FICO from one of the 3 bureaus?  If it makes a difference Discover says it's TransUnion Score 8 and the Ollo card says Experian Score 9. 

HI PecanPraline,  Welcome to the forums!

There are 28 different versions of your FICO score (and yes, it's common for them all to be different) and each lender decides on which version they will use for credit decisions and / or provide to their cardholders (if they provide one at all).    The majority of of lenders use some version of FICO for making credit decisions, so those are the scores with which you should concern yourself.  

Discover is providing your Transunion FICO 8 score.  Discover also offers a free Experian FICO 8 monthly and the service is available to anyone https://www.discover.com/free-credit-score/  -- it will require a separate sign up than your credit card account. 

And it appears the Ollo card site may be giving you your Experian FICO 9 score.  --  I've never had Ollo so I'm guessing based on what you've written in your post.  You should be able to either read the fine print under the score provided on the site, or the FAQ to determine exactly which score they are offering -- but the fact that you said 'score 9'  leads me to believe it's FICO and not Vantage or a proprietary Experian scoring model. 

To get your FICO 8 scores for all three bureaus (namely, Equifax since the other two may be covered by Disco),  you will need to sign up for a paid service such as Experian.com (Experian CreditWorks Basic or CreditWorks Premium), CreditCheckTotal.com, or myFICO.com. 

CreditCheckTotal and Experian.com are the same thing (Experian owns CreditCheckTotal) -- but if you go through the CreditCheckTotal website, you will be offered a $1 / 7-day trial.  You must cancel before the trial ends so not to be charged for a full month ($24.99). 

If you sign up for Experian's CreditWorks Premium service,  you'll receive daily updated scores & reports for Experian with monthly udpated scores & reports for Transunion and Equifax. 

**If you download the Experian mobile app and enroll first in the free version of their credit monitoring called Experian CreditWorks Basic you will be offered CreditWorks Premium free for one month and the monthly subscription cost for CreditWorks Premium when you enroll through the app is $19.99 instead of the $24.99 charged when you sign up through their website.

myFICO.com is much more expensive at $40 per month,  but that is because it provides all 28 versions of your FICO scores (includes FICO 8, FICO 9, Bankcard, Mortgage, and Auto scores) plus alerts to any score / report changes throughout the month. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I knew there were different scoring models but I didn't realize there were so many.  I pulled the Discover Scorecard and it was different as well (720).  Before realizing there were so many I was surprised at the difference of 100 points from one score to another. I was thinking I might see a 20 to 50 point difference at the high end. 

Ollo is a newish offering in the not quite prime cc market. 2.5% cashback.  I did double-check and it's an Experian Fico score. I'm considering a paid look but I don't want to that until I'm sure what I asking about/paying for. Is score 8 the most popular? That's what seems to be in a lot of signatures.  So, I'll dip around a bit on the site/forums for some research.  Thank for the info. It was very helpful. 

Message 3 of 4
thornback
Senior Contributor

There shouldn't be a 100 point difference between the 3 FICO 8 scores unless the information on your 3 credit reports differ. Normal score variance is 10-30 points.

It is possible to see a 100 point difference between the FICO 8 version and FICO 9 version scores though - especially profiles that contain derogatory accounts or collection items because those are weighed differently by each version.

Have you reviewed your credit reports for all 3 bureaus? It's difficult to understand your scores without knowing the info generating those scores. You can get them free at annualcreditreport.com (No scores - just reports).

FICO 8 is the most common version used by lenders.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.