guiness56
Epic Contributor
Moved:

Re: Direct dispute

Message 21 of 38
mszuki1000
Contributor

So confused on this matter........ I am in the process of 14 disputes and my credit score dropped 38 points the next day after filing the disputes. Would someone PLEASE tell me if this is normal? And once disputes are resolved does the score adjust accordingly?

Starting Score: 412
Current Score: 488
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 38
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@mszuki1000 wrote:
So confused on this matter........ I am in the process of 14 disputes and my credit score dropped 38 points the next day after filing the disputes. Would someone PLEASE tell me if this is normal? And once disputes are resolved does the score adjust accordingly?

When you dispute a trade line the trade line itself is taken out of FICO  scoring. so if it had helped you with your AAOA,  then you will see a decline.  once a dispute has been resolved, depending on the result of the dispute - your credit score can go up or down.

for example you are disputing a 30 day derogatory on a B of a account which has been opened for five years. By filing that dispute the whole trade line is removed  for scoring and your scoring is now based on your existing tls.  

Once the dispute is resolved and the result is in your favor and the 30 day derogatory is removed, then you get the benefit of the five-year trade line added back to your scoring. 

Message 23 of 38
mszuki1000
Contributor

09Lexi....

Thank you so much....you explained that very well. I disputed all paid off student loans, paid off truck, and paid off credit cards but when they updated information, they did so with the old balances.....I have to get that reporting correctly before mortgage time next month..... Again thank you

Message 24 of 38
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@mszuki1000 wrote:
09Lexi....

Thank you so much....you explained that very well. I disputed all paid off student loans, paid off truck, and paid off credit cards but when they updated information, they did so with the old balances.....I have to get that reporting correctly before mortgage time next month..... Again thank you

Just out of curiosity, why did you initially dispute all those paid off TLs? Were they reporting innacurately prior to the dispute that resulted in the incorrect balances being reported?

Message 25 of 38
mszuki1000
Contributor

Yes they were reporting incorrectly as if I still had balances on them....That's what initiated the dispute. And on top of that my mortgage lender was counting them as debt because they're reporting with a, balance "paying as agreed".....

Message 26 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am trying to get off the $2.00, 30 days late payment off my Capital One account from April 2013 from three credit bureaus. I tried to get it off back in June 2013 after I found out that my automatic payments was stopped which was not my fault. Only recently I just realized/remember that my card was switched over to Capital One from HSBC during that time period. However, the $2.00 late payment stil stick and recently Capital One sent a letter to each credit bureau on my behalf to get it off. If they don't want to take it off, what do I do next? 

Also, recently EQ put another negative remark on the same Capital Account for having $0.00 balance. I checked several times and yes, it is $0.00 balance. I called Capital One yet again (in fact 5 times since last week) and the nice rep said she is going to send another letter of dispute on my behalf for investigation. There is nothing from TU or EX just EQ (business as usual). Since, I am on the east coast most of the auto lenders or any lender are using EQ unfortunately for me. I will try your method and to contact and to complaint to BBB regarding all these matter. 

Just because of this reason, I am getting bad loan deal from USAA with 12% APR, $20K and my EQ was only 650 at that time. Now it jumped up to 722 but it was only slightly above fair. However, another negative remark on EQ report, I am pretty much doom. I am not planning to wait for 7 and 8 years to clear each of this negative remark. Thank you for the tips. 

Message 27 of 38
pisspoorcredit
New Contributor

@12njoy wrote:

Here's a neat trick I learned,

I was able to get eight (8), yes 8, collection accounts deleted from all three bureau's.  I settled all the collection accounts and then I filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau pleading ignorance of the FCRA by saying that since the accounts were settled, they should be removed.  Well the BBB's sent my complaints to the respective collection agencies and ALL of them wrote back to BBB's stating that the accounts were settled and that they would have the accounts deleted.  Now the BBB nor the collection agencies are required to do anything about this, but collection agencies get so many complaints they try to resolve as many as they can successfully, especially when they have been paid.  Go the BBB route for any paid collection account.  Just plead ignorance like you don't know the FCRA and they'll come right off.

EXCELLENT point! HA!!!

Starting Score: 503
Current Score: 510

Message 28 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started

I will give it another week or two since I am busy right now with other matters. EQ policy is hurting consumers. If you purchased a 3rd party credit reports and file a dispute it woudln't go through their system. If you are buying directly from them, the dispute will work. However, as you can see EQ decided to put another incorrect report on me and not because a company reported anything about my credits. $0.00 balance on your credit card is a dangerous thing, and you have to pay up according to EQ. Wow.. it is funny but also stressful.. 

UPDATES: Equifax finally received another dispute from me and also from Capital One on my behalf. They updated my score. It jumped from 722 to 766. Wow! Big changes from the error, well actually 2 negative remarks removed. I guess, the only way to correct my problem is to be persistent. Sign up for their program again, and keep talking to the creditor to correct whatever there is on your report. Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Right now, I am wondering if my Experian and Transunion will go up even more from the "current" Score. I just ordered 3 Fico scores from this site, with the discount codes and reduced each report to $15.95. However, I couldn't log in since it keep looping myself to the SS# check which I entered several times with different browsers. I called up the customer serivce and the nice lady asked me to log in again tomorrow. I guess, I wil wait  until later this morning to try it out.

Message 29 of 38
DueDilligence
Contributor

Quick question, if a creditor is posting the original deliguency date years later (3 years say) than the original date of deliquency is this grounds for removal?

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.