Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directtv reporting ex-husband's delinquent account on my credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Directtv reporting ex-husband's delinquent account on my credit report

Transunion shows a Direct TV unpaid balance on my credit report. I know it is not mine so I called the creditor. They wouldn't tell me anything until the agent accidently mentioned the street address. It was my ex- husband's.  We have been divorced for 15 years. I confirmed it is in his name but under my SSN.  (Our SSN's  happen to be very similar).  I called Direct TV and they wont speak to me without the account # but no one will give me the account # since it is in his name. Catch 22.  I did attempt to contact my ex and he said  " good luck with that" and refuses to work with me. I disputed with Transunion and they came back and said they "verified the information as correct" but would not say how.  My only guess is that when we divorced and my name was removed from all the utilities, they removed my name but not my SSN.  He has moved twice, and then moved back to the address we shared before we divorced.  In another call to the collection agency they said " Your name appears at the service address in public records".  But it only shows  in recent months at that address because of this account reporting inaccurately!   I have moved 4 times in 6 years and have my own Direct TV accounts on and off, and this account has never been mentioned to me before.  I also attempted to dispute through Credit Karma, and after 30 days the dispute just disappeared and nothing happened at all. Any suggestions on how to correct this? 

10 REPLIES 10
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Directtv reporting ex-husband's delinquent account on my credit report

In the past, I've called customer service and requested to be connected to the "Fraud department"  ATT/DirecTV is big enough that they should have one.      That was the only department I've worked with that will genuinely help me out without having all of the "necessary" information.  I had similar issues with an ex and account; also with actual fraudulent accounts (I never had to file a police report to get them taken care of, either, but without a police report, the CRAs were useless, which is understandable).

I don't know if it'll work for you, but it might be worth a try.   

Hopefully someone will have better/more useful advice Smiley Happy

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Transunion shows a Direct TV unpaid balance on my credit report. I know it is not mine so I called the creditor. They wouldn't tell me anything until the agent accidently mentioned the street address. It was my ex- husband's.  We have been divorced for 15 years. I confirmed it is in his name but under my SSN.  (Our SSN's  happen to be very similar).  I called Direct TV and they wont speak to me without the account # but no one will give me the account # since it is in his name. Catch 22.  I did attempt to contact my ex and he said  " good luck with that" and refuses to work with me. I disputed with Transunion and they came back and said they "verified the information as correct" but would not say how.  My only guess is that when we divorced and my name was removed from all the utilities, they removed my name but not my SSN.  He has moved twice, and then moved back to the address we shared before we divorced.  In another call to the collection agency they said " Your name appears at the service address in public records".  But it only shows  in recent months at that address because of this account reporting inaccurately!   I have moved 4 times in 6 years and have my own Direct TV accounts on and off, and this account has never been mentioned to me before.  I also attempted to dispute through Credit Karma, and after 30 days the dispute just disappeared and nothing happened at all. Any suggestions on how to correct this? 

If you have Directv now. Call CS and explain the situation. In red. You say its your SS# but you both have similar #'s. Confused. So your stuck unless you have service now. If you have copies of your divorce decree. Call Directv and ask where to send the proof that the ex got full control of the util's including Directv. Or you can file a compliant with the CFPB with documentation and/or the BBB.

Message 3 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

An important issue with respect to ability to remove from your credit report is whether or not the account being reported was opened by both spouses prior to divorce, or whether it was opened by only one spouse without knowledge of the other.

If it is the former, you are kinda stuck with the account per se, as you would be a legit party on the account.

However, if you have been divorced for 15 years, and derogs reported on the account would long have passed their mandatory exclusion date of no later than 7 years, so you could dispute the continued showing of any delinquencies, a charge-off, or a collection.

If it is the later, then you can pursue an identity theft block of the information from your credit report under the blocking provisions of FCRA 605B.  The creditor is intentionally removed from the identity theft blocking provisions of section 605B, and removal can be obtained simply by filing of a police report asserting that you never authorized the account.

As for getting information about the account, they (the CRA) is currently considering the reporting to involve you as a named consumer, and thus you are entitled under the provisions of FCRA 609(a)(1), which stipulates that a CRA MUST provide, upon written request from a consumer, "all information of record in the consumer's file at the time of the request."  They cannot report information related to you, and deny you access to full disclosure of that information.

Send the CRA a request under FCRA 609(a)(1) requesting a full disclosure of the reporting history on the account, including when it was opened, when it was closed, and the dates of any reported derogs.  That will provide you factual basis for pursuing either a dispute of continued showing of any derogs past their statutory exclusion date, or basis for contesting that you were ever a joint account holder.

Message 4 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@RobertEGto the rescue again!

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@calyx wrote:

In the past, I've called customer service and requested to be connected to the "Fraud department"  ATT/DirecTV is big enough that they should have one.      That was the only department I've worked with that will genuinely help me out without having all of the "necessary" information.  I had similar issues with an ex and account; also with actual fraudulent accounts (I never had to file a police report to get them taken care of, either, but without a police report, the CRAs were useless, which is understandable).

I don't know if it'll work for you, but it might be worth a try.   

Hopefully someone will have better/more useful advice Smiley Happy

Thank you!  I called and spoke with a collections agent who actually listened and then did give me the phone # to their Fraud Dept last night.  I am going to call this morning.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have their service now and I have had their service, in my name, since 2006 on and off and still  never knew about this other one.  Just to clarify, our SSN# are similar in that mine is XX5-XX-x123   His is XX6-XX-X567   The "X" being same digits in both.    I have asked if sending in a copy would help them correct and the issue and the people I get on the phon seem unsure of who to send it to.  when I get a hold of the Fraud dept today I will ask again.  Thank you.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

An important issue with respect to ability to remove from your credit report is whether or not the account being reported was opened by both spouses prior to divorce, or whether it was opened by only one spouse without knowledge of the other.

If it is the former, you are kinda stuck with the account per se, as you would be a legit party on the account.

However, if you have been divorced for 15 years, and derogs reported on the account would long have passed their mandatory exclusion date of no later than 7 years, so you could dispute the continued showing of any delinquencies, a charge-off, or a collection.

If it is the later, then you can pursue an identity theft block of the information from your credit report under the blocking provisions of FCRA 605B.  The creditor is intentionally removed from the identity theft blocking provisions of section 605B, and removal can be obtained simply by filing of a police report asserting that you never authorized the account.

As for getting information about the account, they (the CRA) is currently considering the reporting to involve you as a named consumer, and thus you are entitled under the provisions of FCRA 609(a)(1), which stipulates that a CRA MUST provide, upon written request from a consumer, (all information of record in the consumer's file at the time of the request."  They cannot report information related to you, and deny you access to full disclosure of that information.

Send the CRA a request under FCRA 609(a)(1) requesting a full disclosure of the reporting history on the account, including when it was opened, when it was closed, and the dates of any reported derogs.  That will provide you factual basis for pursuing either a dispute of continued showing of any derogs past their statutory exclusion date, or basis for contesting that you were ever a joint account holder.

Thank you.  I approciate the feedback.  One clarification:  When we divorced, 15 years ago,  the account was in good standing.  I was then removed from the account ( or should have been and wasnt done correctly)  It was not until a few months ago he closed the account and I assume just didnt pay the final bill or turn in the equipment. Now it is reporting so the 7 years just started.

Message 8 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Any updates @Anonymous  Did you call Directv since you presently have an account and tell them about the divorce and removing the derog from you?

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Any updates @Anonymous  Did you call Directv since you presently have an account and tell them about the divorce and removing the derog from you?

Yes, I spoke to DirectTV and learned a little more information.  Agent in their Fraud dept told me It appears that since when we initiated the service in 2003 they did not collect SS#s or do credit checks back then, but records show I signed for the service (was a stay at home mom then). This put me in the Primary account holder spot.  Ex husband was listed 2nd.  When I moved and he changed the service in 2004 to only his name the procedure was they were supposed to close account and reopen a new one for him and start a new contract,  but they didnt.  They just took my name off the billing.  The Fraud Dept says Customer Care can correct this if I speak to a supervisor. He said he made notes and transferred me.   I spoke to them and was told this is out of their hands, but I again asked for a supervisor.  She transferred me and was disconnected.  I called back and got collections somehow and a nice agent told me he would speak to his manager.  So now I am supposed to write in to the Colletions dept with all the details and information I have, send in a cope if the divorce decree and they will research.  Forgive me if I dont hold a lot of hope, but I will try!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.