Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 30 late payment removal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover 30 late payment removal

Discover reported my card as 30 day's late back in August 2020.

At that time I explained that I was having issues due to the Covid situation and paying some bills.

They told me they could not remove it.

That single 30 day late  my dropped my Experian score by 50 points, ugh.  

Today, after 6 months of on time payments, I decided to ask again.

I called up Discover and explained my siutation at time of my missed payment. Although the Discover rep told me it would not be removed,.

Then finally he agreed to put a supervisor on the phone.

After explaining my situation, Discover supervisor agreed to have my 30 day late payment removed from credit reports.

Does anyone know much of an increase to my Fico score I can expect once the 30 day is removed?

10 REPLIES 10
silver_idle
Established Contributor

Re: Discover 30 late payment removal

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover reported my card as 30 day's late back in August 2020.

At that time I explained that I was having issues due to the Covid situation and paying some bills.

They told me they could not remove it.

That single 30 day late  my dropped my Experian score by 50 points, ugh.  

Today, after 6 months of on time payments, I decided to ask again.

I called up Discover and explained my siutation at time of my missed payment. Although the Discover rep told me it would not be removed,.

Then finally he agreed to put a supervisor on the phone.

After explaining my situation, Discover supervisor agreed to have my 30 day late payment removed from credit reports.

Does anyone know much of an increase to my Fico score I can expect once the 30 day is removed?

Considering that its still fresh you could get up to 50 points back, but probably a little less than that depending on how it weighs on your score now.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  I had 2 - 30 day late payments in last 6 years.

Also, I called Synchrony (Amazon card) today and asked for 30 day lates to be removed from 2015.  The Synchrony rep agreed to have the late removed from CRA reports.

Maybe because those 30 day lates were over 6 years old is the reason the Synchrony rep agreed to have those removed from my CRA reports.

Message 3 of 11
refereeguy1390
Valued Member

Were those 30 day lates the only negative things on your credit report?

Starting FICO8 (1/21): EX 567 | EQ 597 | TU 620
Current FICO8 (4/21): EX 615 | EQ 630 | TU 647
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

y

@refereeguy1390 wrote:

Were those 30 day lates the only negative things on your credit report?

Yes, on my open accounts.

On my closed account from Cap 1, I have 2 x30 day lates  and 1 60 day late from 2014.

This is the 7th year, so I am hoping those will fall off soon.  It already seems to fallen off my Equifax, but Cap1 is still on my Experian and Transunion.

I  have high utilization ~64 perecent, which I am working to bring down to under 30.

Message 5 of 11
refereeguy1390
Valued Member

So you should switch over to a clean scorecard when those other late payments drop.  Not sure what your short term score changes look like, but longer term (next 12 months) should see some real nice gains.

I'm curious to see what difference you get between EQ (clean scorecard) and the other two.

Starting FICO8 (1/21): EX 567 | EQ 597 | TU 620
Current FICO8 (4/21): EX 615 | EQ 630 | TU 647
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes,  thanks.  I am hoping to break  700  in a few months when these lates are removed.

My utilization is hurting my scores a bit as well, but currently working on that.  

My current scores - Experian 640 | Equifax 633: Transunion ~642

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did Discover remove the late reporting? I'm going through a similar situation with them about a late reporting in October 2020 and they are refusing to remove it. I have provided a reduced hour letter from my job due to COVID-19 and have provided an email from them showing I contacted them during that time. Up until this point I had never been late and have always paid my full statement balance. I have had my card for 2 years.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey!! I'm having the same problem with Discover. They even told me that they've never removed a late payment from anyone's account. I don't know what to do anymore because it's the only late on my report.

@Anonymous wrote:

Did Discover remove the late reporting? I'm going through a similar situation with them about a late reporting in October 2020 and they are refusing to remove it. I have provided a reduced hour letter from my job due to COVID-19 and have provided an email from them showing I contacted them during that time. Up until this point I had never been late and have always paid my full statement balance. I have had my card for 2 years.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

I filed a complaint with the CFPB and BBB but so far I haven't had any luck-- CFPB reopen the case when Discover said I didn't contact them and I was able to provide the email from them during the time in question. I say keep trying.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.