Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover AU problem

tag
credit_questons
Established Member

Discover AU problem

I worked hard a few years ago to fix up credit post bankruptcy and car reposession. Things were good until my bipolar wife ran up multiple cards and then stopped paying when she was unable to work due to illness. I was an AU on several cards that were showing on my credit. Citibank, wellsfargo, and chase were all nice about removing the entries. There was a discover card that we actually settled with so its not even a charge off. It wasn't my card or debt, but I paid when they sued my wife. Now it is on my credit showing late payments and paid for less than owed. I'm angry that I did the right thing (paid) and now I'm suffering even though I'm not responsible. Disputing via credting reporting agencies, letters and emails to discover....nothing has worked. Is discover always so tough to deal with?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover AU problem

Call Discover and have yourself removed as AU from the card.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover AU problem

@credit_questons wrote:

I worked hard a few years ago to fix up credit post bankruptcy and car reposession. Things were good until my bipolar wife ran up multiple cards and then stopped paying when she was unable to work due to illness. I was an AU on several cards that were showing on my credit. Citibank, wellsfargo, and chase were all nice about removing the entries. There was a discover card that we actually settled with so its not even a charge off. It wasn't my card or debt, but I paid when they sued my wife. Now it is on my credit showing late payments and paid for less than owed. I'm angry that I did the right thing (paid) and now I'm suffering even though I'm not responsible. Disputing via credting reporting agencies, letters and emails to discover....nothing has worked. Is discover always so tough to deal with?

I guess my question is- Do you live in a community property state?  It is my understanding that this could affect whether or not the debt is considered an obligation for both of you.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.