cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Charge Off

tag
Doppler3D

Discover Charge Off

Has anyone been successful in getting Discover to remove a paid charge off?

They are the only remaining derogatory account on my credit reports. After emailing their Executive Office, I received a response stating "Our records indicate that the past due status on your account is valid. For this reason, we are unable to comply with your request to remove or alter the credit history previously reported to the credit bureau agencies."

I have gotten other derogatory accounts removed from my credit files, including a charge off, but I'm having some difficulty with Discover. The woman I dealt with is named Jeneen. She had an elitist attitude and I could tell by the tone of her voice that she wasn't in the business of helping people. My concern is that Discover seems to be a smaller operation than some of the other banks. Do they even have other people in their executive office?

If I submit another goodwill letter, I'm concerned that it will land on her desk for a second time. For that reason, I'm considering a tougher approach. Before I paid off this account, and I made the payment directly to Discover, it was placed with a collection agency that violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. It was a serious violation and I have the recorded messages to substantiate my case. Maybe if I bring that to their attention, and threaten legal action, they will simply remove it to get rid of me.

I would prefer to get this resolved with a goodwill letter, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go with this one. If anyone has had success with Discover, I would be very grateful for their contact information. I would appreciate a private message with that. 

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover Charge Off

Hmmmm.........

Message 2 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Outside of the GW route, if what you said is really a violation, maybe they would react to that. I don't know about that enough to say.for sure, but hopefully one kf the guru's on here thst know the laws better will tell you exactly the next step. Best of luck though. I hope it works out.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 8
Doppler3D

They revealed my debt and personal information to two different people (that aren't me) in recorded answering machine messages. I have both recordings.

Goodwill seems like the way to go. Assuming of course I can get it to the right person. There is a main number the woman I dealt with called me from. She didn't have a direct extension. That is why I'm wondering if they have one person who handles and responds to these letters, or if they have a whole team of people. I have no idea from this one experience. I just don't want to deal with this woman for a second time.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

With 43 million cardholders and 11,500 employees, I'm pretty sure she isn't the only one who deals with tardy accounts Smiley Wink  Also, it wasn't Discover who violated the rules, it was the CA, right?  I really don't think they will bend because of that. GW is the only way to go, but try being humble and apologetic. 

Message 5 of 8
Doppler3D

I just wanted to give a quick update. In the past week, I submitted another goodwill letter via email. The woman who responded was the same woman who called me last time. She didn't seem to remember me, and she never mentioned the previous letter. However, she was in receipt of my letter for a second time. 

My goodwill request was once again denied. It was escalated to their executive board, who according to her, denied my request. She said Discover only reports true and accurate information to the credit bureaus, and that they have an agreement that can't be overriden. She said their company never removes accurate information. 

Has anyone here had success with Discover? I don't seem to be getting anywhere with them. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update. I remember following this thread. 

... I too have a charge off from Discover that has been paid in full one lump sum of a little over $6300. 

They refuse to remove the charge off remarks, status, etc .... They refuse to remove the tradeline. 

I have not tried to GW this request, I simply asked. I asked a few different people in a few different departments. They even sent me two letters to my address stating the marking will stay the same except update to Closed & Paid. I got the impression that they won't do anything & I didn't have the energy in me to fight for it. Down the road, I may try to GW. Discover is a pain in terms of these circumstances when the account is fully paid, including the interest & fees which is technically no longer charged off..... That's how it's hurting us because it's reported as charge off when its really paid in full.  

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It should have the "OK" mark. 

If I try to GW I would try for that to be updated, but then again I have to remember that I can risk the chance of the update backfiring to bring down my scores. So maybe I will just let it sit & let the time heal the wound. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.