Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Approval; Wells Fargo Credit Card denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It Approval; Wells Fargo Credit Card denial

Just thought I'd post my experience on here because I had researched the same terms a month or so ago before applying.

TU: 694;  Equifax: 686;  Experian:  694  (Maybe a little higher since this didn't factor my new CLI on my credit card from last month)

I applied for a Wells Fargo Rewards Credit Card.  We have everything with them:  checking, savings, retirement, etc.  Really healthy account management.  I was denied.  The reason they stated was because of poor performance on a prior wells fargo credit card.  This is true.  Not denying that.  I had their college credit card when I was 18.  It was charged off and then I paid the collection in full.  This is 10 years ago.  It's no longer on my credit report.  When I spoke to an underwriter, she informed me I was considered high risk and recommended that I shoot for the secured credit card.  I have no issue with secured credit cards (got me to where I am) and especially since I know Wells Fargo graduates customers to the unsecured.  I asked her though, if I was considered high risk, is that across the board for all credit products WF has to offer or just unsecured credit options.  She had no idea.  She said it was systematic.  The collection record could fall off in 20 years or 15 years.  No one knew.  I didn't have time to fuss over the conversation but still kind of left wondering.  I have no issue for applying for the secured card if I know that it would be considered outside of my 10 year chargeoff.  ANYWAY, feeling a little bitter about Wells Fargo.  I just wish they weren't so dang vague about whether they blacklist previous credit card customers.

Then I applied for Discover IT online and got an instant approval with a CL of 1,300.  The CSR said there would be some special APR promotion included when I receive my card.  So that's the happy news and I'm pretty excited to start earning rewards.  Awesome customer service, btw.  

Anyone else have Wells Fargo blacklisting issues?  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover It Approval; Wells Fargo Credit Card denial

@Anonymous wrote:

Just thought I'd post my experience on here because I had researched the same terms a month or so ago before applying.

TU: 694;  Equifax: 686;  Experian:  694  (Maybe a little higher since this didn't factor my new CLI on my credit card from last month)

I applied for a Wells Fargo Rewards Credit Card.  We have everything with them:  checking, savings, retirement, etc.  Really healthy account management.  I was denied.  The reason they stated was because of poor performance on a prior wells fargo credit card.  This is true.  Not denying that.  I had their college credit card when I was 18.  It was charged off and then I paid the collection in full.  This is 10 years ago.  It's no longer on my credit report.  When I spoke to an underwriter, she informed me I was considered high risk and recommended that I shoot for the secured credit card.  I have no issue with secured credit cards (got me to where I am) and especially since I know Wells Fargo graduates customers to the unsecured.  I asked her though, if I was considered high risk, is that across the board for all credit products WF has to offer or just unsecured credit options.  She had no idea.  She said it was systematic.  The collection record could fall off in 20 years or 15 years.  No one knew.  I didn't have time to fuss over the conversation but still kind of left wondering.  I have no issue for applying for the secured card if I know that it would be considered outside of my 10 year chargeoff.  ANYWAY, feeling a little bitter about Wells Fargo.  I just wish they weren't so dang vague about whether they blacklist previous credit card customers.

Then I applied for Discover IT online and got an instant approval with a CL of 1,300.  The CSR said there would be some special APR promotion included when I receive my card.  So that's the happy news and I'm pretty excited to start earning rewards.  Awesome customer service, btw.  

Anyone else have Wells Fargo blacklisting issues?  

Grats on your Discover and welcome to the family Smiley Happy

its most interesting that they have you on the BL since you PIF the collection unless they sold it to them in which case they really ate most of the debt. This is common with the big banks they have BLs all over the place, WF really has nothing that special in the way of credit cards there are better lenders out there who would be happy to do business with you.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response and excited to have Discover!  Discover was actually my first choice too.  

So question to ask about chargeoffs and PIFs.  I have zero documentation from that time in my life.  I was a scared 18 year old and they told me they could take legal action on me so I very quickly came up with the money and paid it off.  I had zero know how about negotiation so they said a number I had to pay and I paid it!  

Would it be worth it to call their recon line again and see how it is showing up?  Also once they put it through the underwriter and it's declined, is that the end of the road?  Are there smarter, better questions to ask to know if it's worth trying to pursue it in the future?  I know the rep told me all she could see is that the charged off card now shows it has a zero balance.  It's just so weird because their record retention is 7 years but their memory seems to be endless in other areas.  Ha ha. 

Message 3 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the response and excited to have Discover!  Discover was actually my first choice too.  

So question to ask about chargeoffs and PIFs.  I have zero documentation from that time in my life.  I was a scared 18 year old and they told me they could take legal action on me so I very quickly came up with the money and paid it off.  I had zero know how about negotiation so they said a number I had to pay and I paid it!  

Would it be worth it to call their recon line again and see how it is showing up?  There are 2 numbers for WF in this thread http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066 start with the first and then move on to the EO if you need to, there are quite a few successes on this board with people doing 2 3 or even 4 recons until they get an analyst willing to approve them, nothing wrong with trying.

Also once they put it through the underwriter and it's declined, is that the end of the road?  No, refer to my previous statement.

Are there smarter, better questions to ask to know if it's worth trying to pursue it in the future? I just would not deal with anyone that you may have had problems with in the past as I have already said there are plenty of creditors out there who will want your business.

I know the rep told me all she could see is that the charged off card now shows it has a zero balance.  It's just so weird because their record retention is 7 years but their memory seems to be endless in other areas.  Ya these big banks can have long memories, I am BL from Amex for a BK in 1983 and BL from Citi from a BK in 1996, I dont care both of them are useless to me and I have plenty of great cards from creditors who are happy to have my business.

Ha ha. 

Adding: If you want to read my Citi story I recanted it just today in another thread on BLs  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/How-do-you-know-if-you-re-blacklisted/td-p/3325574

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh wow!  Thank you!  This information is awesome.

Message 5 of 9
baller4life
Super Contributor

I have been approved by almost all the major lenders except Wells Fargo with whom I have banked for 10yrs. I will never apply for any credit products with them again. They are super conservative and unwilling to bend. IME. Will eventually move all my banking to BOA. Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about your denial. For my experience, I had checking/savings, insurances, CDs, Investments and was denied credit for the same reasons (BK7 where Wells Fargo was included). All baddies were off my CR. Wells Fargo did allow me a secured credit card but refused to graduate me and did allow a Note Loan secured by CD's and charged me $50 to have the loan. In the end they would NOT extend me credit. Sooooo.... I closed everything out and moved on to other banks. They did not forgive in my case (also I did not pay back anything). As others have stated on this website, there are other financial institutions and I found one that is great. Also, I am bitter at Wells Fargo but the old adage applies: "... the man who has the gold rules..."! Got it.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

jlkrose - congrats on your Discover. They will treat you right.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, called the recon line one last time with Wells Fargo to get a few more answers. I would consider this closure at this point.

1. Am I blacklisted? If not, what is the time frame I would have to wait to be reconsidered?

There isn't a definite timeframe to wait but unless policy changes, I'll never see an unsecured credit option with wf. I can apply and be approved for a secured option but she's never seen anyone graduate to unsecured. (Wanderer - she gave me spot on info that mirrored your experience with wf.)

2. How does my charge off show up in their records?

It showed up as a 0 balance with wf financial from the date i settled in 2006.

3. Was I declined for any other reason?

No. My reconsideration was a hard decline and it was systematic. She said in some cases they can override but in a prior card performance like mine, never.

She was really nice and glad I got a little closure. Had to hear it for myself. Smiley Happy Time to move on.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.