Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover PAY FOR delete DENIED!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover PAY FOR delete DENIED!!!

Hi Guys,

just wanted to let you know i had an account with discover thats a charge off since 2016 i offered to pay in full for delete, they told me that they no longer to pay for delete, so i settled for less,....

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Cjethompson2017
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover PAY FOR delete DENIED!!!

I'd try again after it's paid. All they can do is say no again. But, I feel like you don't really have a leg to stand on until it's paid. 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's paid , I settle for less today after he said they don't do pay for delete 

Message 3 of 13
Cjethompson2017
Frequent Contributor

Did you just call the customer service line? You could try to send an email to an executive. I have sent a total of 5 letters to executives at ford. And they keep telling me no. But I will not give up. Lol

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will, but I called to pay, I was set in paying this account , so I tried . I wasn't gonna start sending letters and pay later ... I wanted to pay today and end this story lol. It's been too long . 
I will start to send letters soon once the payment posts . 

Message 5 of 13
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Guys,

just wanted to let you know i had an account with discover thats a charge off since 2016 i offered to pay in full for delete, they told me that they no longer to pay for delete, so i settled for less,....

There is a huge myth that is constantly perpetuated on this website.    "Pay for Delete:" does not work for any major lender.   Not one.   I have 1000s of hours on this site and other credit sites, and NEVER have I heard of a major lender agreeing to PFD.   And I have a strong hunch that it is because it violates their contracts terms with the credit reporting agencies.   I mean think about it:   If they were all willing to pay for delete, they would distort the credit worthiness of people and make the whole system worthless.

That said, PFD works very often with collection agencies.   These are bottom feeders.   Their staff are paid on commission.   And it's no skin off their noses to remove a paid collection.   This said, most will not agree to put it in writing (again because it violates their agreements with the CRA's) but most will delete it upon request once paid.   So there is not "quid pro quo" allowed, meaning I give you something and you give me something, but they are allowed to do it out of their own beneveloency and kind heart.

Stop buying into this PFD B.S. with major lenders.   But by all means do it with collection agents.

Message 6 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

As stated upthread, PFD is reserved for collection agencies, not original creditors. 

It's happened a few times with shady lenders like First Premier, but major lenders will never entertain the possibility of removing charged off account. 

Best you can do is to pay it (or settle), so  delinquency can properly age without updates. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to agree with everything posted here. PFD doesn't really work with original lenders. Although a rare few have been able to goodwill lates with original lenders. This is few and far between however. Never hurts to try but temper your expectations. 

I read a super old thread where someone goodwilled a boa charge off, and it turned out they had credit insurance on the account so a technicality saved them.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never heard of such thing as credit insurance lol, learn something everyday 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if it's a new thing or not, but I get subprime card offers all the time and they often have some type of insurance like this attached for an "extra fee" that you can sign up for. It's supposed to cover your payment for a period of time or your full balance. 

"Credit Card Protection Insurance is a type of coverage that protects your credit card purchases in the event of death, medical disability or unemployment."

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.