cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Card reporting as secured??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Secured Card reporting as secured??

@ORllyNao wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@karladicent wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wouldn't worry about it.  I still got approvals even after it started reporting as secured.  Hoping it will unsecure in two more months (fingers crossed).

If you have made on time payments would it unsecure automatically?? I love the cards you have I think you have this one in the bag so I will give you a congratulations in advance 

CONGRATULAATTTIIIOOONNNSSSS

Thanks.  I read on the forum where others have not been lucky enough to have Discover unsecure;  even if it doesn't,  then I'll wait till month fifteen and apply for another Venture card.  When I got on the forum a little over a year ago, all I had was 3 store cards and a secured Cap 1 card.  This forum has been very helpful to me and I value the advice that is given to me. 

It was my understanding that Discover unsecures after 12 months if payments are made on time, etc., but there are people who aren't getting their cards unsecured? That would really upset me, because that's the ONLY reason I put my money with Discover instead of some other cards. Ugh. 

I had the same attitude six months ago, but having been on the forum and read some of the posts from others with much better profiles who have not gotten either Discover or Amex has helped me realize that not having a particular card isn't the end of the world; it's more important to have a strong credit profile.  I doubt very seriously I could quality for a Ritz Carlton, because if my profile doesn't support it, that's okay too.  I would like to have more than $50 k total in bank card credit (not that I would use that much), but if Capitol one will help aid me in that journey, and Discover doesn't, that's okay too.  I had an unsecured Discover when I screwed up my credit, so if I don't get it back, I have no one to blame but myself.  Just focus on the end game and remember that not everything that glitters is not gold.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Were you able to add more money to your secured card or did you start with the 2000 limit that you have?

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband and I both have Discover It Secured and they said that you can request a CLI to add more funds after the first statement.  We both only put the $200 to start with but after doing some reading and finding out that your credit limit when it graduates stays the same we are going to bump each up to $1000 over the next year.  

@karladicent wrote:

Were you able to add more money to your secured card or did you start with the 2000 limit that you have?

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@karladicent wrote:

Started at $200, then each month added more until I got it to $2K.  Thinking about adding another $500 because it is my understanding that if it unsecures, whatever funds you put in is the starting point for your credit limit.  The process to add funds is easy; you just call the number on the back of the card and they ask a couple of questions, then you tell them what you want to increase the line to and the max is $2.5K.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your response...I am going to do the same that way when it is unsecured I can have a decent CL...You give me faith thanks so much

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@karladicent wrote:

Thank you so much for your response...I am going to do the same that way when it is unsecured I can have a decent CL...You give me faith thanks so much

Your so very welcome.  If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me.Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@karladicent wrote:

Your so very welcome.  If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me.Smiley Wink

I will, thanks so much 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.