cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Student Loans - Is my payment late?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Student Loans - Is my payment late?

I want to make sure I understand my situation correctly. I've been in my student loan since graduating in 2015. My payments are always due on the 25th of every month. I always make it a priority to pay way early around the 5-10th of every month and I've never been late since. My last payment was May 07th. I ran into some other financial matters that I needed to take care of and told myself I'd deferr my payment a week or so. 

Well... I forgot to pay until today, June 29th! It's been over 30days since my last payment in May. Is this going to be a hit on my credit report? Or should I be okay since I was only 5 days past the June 25th statment due date? 

In summary my May statment was paid to $0 due on the 7th, my next payment was over 30 days later on June 29th paid again to $0 due for the month. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Student Loans - Is my payment late?

No. If your payment was due on the 25th and you paid today, you were only 4 days late past the due date. For a 30-day late to be reported to the bureaus, you must be 30 days or more past the due date (it's not based on the actual date of your last payment).

You may incur a late fee, but, if I'm understanding your post correctly, no late payment should appear on your credit reports.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 3
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Student Loans - Is my payment late?

30 days late = 30 days past your due date.  

CR won't be affected but your accounts, fees, etc may be.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.