Not applicable

Re: Discover wont settle because of recent Balance Transfer

Great advice aBOZO.
Message 21 of 33
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@fishbjc wrote:

Michelle, I think you are rockin!  You have a LOT going on and I am proud of you!  Taking care of your child is what is most important (congratulations for her)!

If it were ME, I would speak to TAKE CHARGE AMERICA.  They were awesome to me and they can help you work through this.  Hang onto that $6,000.  Speak to a counselor.  if you owe $20,000....your monthly payments will be around $350 for 5 years.   If you apply the 6k down, it drops significantly.

Or, there is bankruptcy....which would give you a fresh start and a new perspective.  It's your decision.  Do what is best for you and your child. 

I think we need a better picture of her current financial picture before we suggest giving Discover $6,000 in one chunk.

She has said that she's sold several times to raise the cash... that implies that she doesn't have much (if any) savings left.  If she has an income problem, I don't think giving up all of her cash is the best course to take.  It leaves her at the mercy of an unexpected car repair or medical bill that would ruin her.

Michelle,

Can you tell us what the current minimum payments are for your Discover and BOA cards?  What is the current amount past due on each card?  Normally we all would tell you not to pay only the minimum, but if you can take SOME of that cash and catch BOTH cards up to current, that will give you breathing room to make a real plan without worrying about being sued.

More importantly, Stuff Happens.  Feeling terrible about it does no good...  You are actively trying to find a way to fix your situtation, and that's commendable!

Read all of the advice and research each option carefully.  Depending on your income/expense situation and your prospects for improvement, maybe BK7 *IS* the best option.  Maybe its a debt consolidation program.

It would be helpful if you could give us your total income and your total expenses (itemized) each month.  There are some REALLY intelligent people here that are wizards with finances and might be able to suggest another option that might be able to save your credit AND your peace of mind!

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 22 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and thank you everyone for the great advice.  I have an approximate monthly take home income of $2800,  My house payment is $1217 and everything is escro. I have a vehicle payment of $490, daycare is $400/ month. and utilities are max $100 per month, I have a work cell phone so thats about it.  These are my only two debts.  I have a balance of B of A of $24000 and Discover of $13000.  I am able to pick up some OT, which is what I typically use for med bills/ co pays, spending money but I don't like to count ont hat all the time. 

Im afraid to file bankrupt cause I don't know what they can take.  I have nothing left they could take, I do own a horse trailer, that is paid for and a lawnmower.  Ugh...so frusterating.  I sold my horse, motorcycle and hot tub and paid off all my other debt.  I have a new vehicle and just recently  moved so I won't need credit for a little while as I have a mortgage that is 1 year old.

Thanks everyone again.

Message 23 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly.

Taking advice from the internet. Financial advice. And from a person with Bozo as a moniker.

This is rich, lol! LMAO!

Here’s my advice: Pay your bills. Always. 

Discover has every right to press their case and if you persist in this fashion I am certain you’ll face a judgement and subsequent garnishment, unless you weasel out of it. They also have the right to oppose at any bankruptcy hearing. You did a large BT then made like 2 payments and defaulted. Looks like fraud to me. Good luck.

Message 24 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly.

Taking advice from the internet. Financial advice. And from a person with Bozo as a moniker.

This is rich, lol! LMAO!

Discover has every right to press their case and if you persist in this fashion I am certain you’ll face a judgement and subsequent garnishment, unless you weasel out of it. They also have the right to oppose at any bankruptcy hearing. You did a large BT then made like 2 payments and defaulted. Looks like fraud to me. Good luck.

+1 on BOZO.

Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's tjhe APR on this card after the teaser expires, 20+%? If it is, they absolutely deserve to get stiffed. Sorry thats just true. If they kept everyones rate at 9.99% like my one chase card that is the only card I never defaulted on, because I beleive thats FAIR, then hardly anyone would let a card get charged off. 

Message 26 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly.

This is rich, lol! LMAO!

Michelle, I would try to keep at least your minimum payment due each month. It is true, you should always pay. Until you can't. Food and housing and your health should take priority over paying credit card debt.

The fraud threat (presumption) goes away if one files for BK after 90 days of charging something that looks fraudulent. A creditor can't use the presumption of fraud option 6 months down the line. A creditor can still cry fraud after 90 days, but they don't have the presumption advantage any longer. And presumption is not proof, it can be rebuttaled.

Message 27 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What's tjhe APR on this card after the teaser expires, 20+%? If it is, they absolutely deserve to get stiffed. Sorry thats just true. If they kept everyones rate at 9.99% like my one chase card that is the only card I never defaulted on, because I beleive thats FAIR, then hardly anyone would let a card get charged off. 

You are entitled to your opinion. 

But your advice is sickening. And the average human being would say you have ZERO credibility making a statement that they deserve to get stiffed if the interest rate is 20+%.

One knows what their rate will be after the "teaser" rate when signing up and accepting the terms.

Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You are entitled to your opinion. 

But your advice is sickening. And the average human being would say you have ZERO credibility making a statement that they deserve to get stiffed if the interest rate is 20+%.

One knows what their rate will be after the "teaser" rate when signing up and accepting the terms.

If you've read his other posts/threads, this is pretty much SOP for abozo....basically rack up the charges and tell the lenders to eff off.

Message 29 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I just read how he stiffed 15 creditors recently.
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.