Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Network/GC Services Old Collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dish Network/GC Services Old Collection

GC Services is reporting a collection account for Dish Network with DoFD of 8/23/11.  They say that this account is paid in full....which I never did.  I did, however, open another Dish account about a year later.  It is scheduled to fall off in 7/2018.  I wrote a goodwill letter to Dish network.  A Gentleman from the mailroom at Dish called me today after receiving my letter.  He says that the account number that I placed on the GW is incorrect (even though this is the account number that is listed on my credit reports).  So, I need to contact the CA and get a good Dish Network account number.  Once I have it, call dish network back and ask for a paid in full letter.  Then, send a letter to the CA with this paid in full letter, and it will be removed within 90 days.

My questions are:

I recently wrote letters to 3 CRAs 2 weeks ago.  Experian has deleted it from my report (not sure if this is permanent or not), and I haven't heard back yet from the other 2.  Curious if I should just call and reqeust early exclusion, or go ahead and do my due diligence and have it removed?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Dish Network/GC Services Old Collection

Who told you the collection would be removed in 90 days upon sending a PIF letter to the CA? You should try to get that promise in writing. Also, if the account number listed on your reports is incorrect (per the mailroom person) then that is grounds for 623 dispute / deletion.

TU will EE up to 6 months before the drop off date. Easiest way to request from the is a direct dispute through credit karma, Reason: "too old to be reported." I just successfully requested deletion of an item scheduled to drop in July. Deleted in 36 hours. EQ will grant an EE (usually) up to 3 months before drop date.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:
Who told you the collection would be removed in 90 days upon sending a PIF letter to the CA? You should try to get that promise in writing. Also, if the account number listed on your reports is incorrect (per the mailroom person) then that is grounds for 623 dispute / deletion.

TU will EE up to 6 months before the drop off date. Easiest way to request from the is a direct dispute through credit karma, Reason: "too old to be reported." I just successfully requested deletion of an item scheduled to drop in July. Deleted in 36 hours. EQ will grant an EE (usually) up to 3 months before drop date.

tmr,

Thanks for the response!

The gentleman that explained to me that the account would be deleted in 90 days or less was simply a mailroom clerk.  He apparently opens letters addressed to Dish Network Billing Department, as that is how I addressed the Goodwill letter.  I never asked him to give me that information in writing, probably wouldn't have been successful.  However, he did say this was common practice.

As far as the account number being wrong....I mentioned this to him, too.  But then again, that's really none of his concern.  This is a problem that I need to bring to the attention of the credit bureau and possibly the CA, right?

I pulled a 3-bureau tonight and found that TU has already removed the both of my collection accounts.  Brought my score up a bit.

As far as the EE goes, I might try to request they remove an old charge off that's due to fall off in June or July.  Problem is....this specific account is 11yr 4mos old.  It's my oldest account.  So, AAoA is going to really suffer, and so is length of credit history.  But, on my TU report, I think this might give me a huge jump.

I'm waiting to see what my new utilization percentages (down from 71% to 15.9%, statements cut today and saturday) do to my scores.  If significant, then I might pull the trigger on the CO EE.

What do you think?

Thanks again for the information.

New scores as of tonight:

Experian 630, Equifax 656, Transunion 644

Message 3 of 13
thornback
Senior Contributor

The 11 year old account is a charge-off though, correct? So it's hurting more than helping.  Besides, it's going to fall off in a few months anyway.  It's also very possible that the points gained from removing a derogatory account will mask the points lost for age - even if it doesn't, it's still better to have a clean report with a short AAOA than it is to have a long AAOA with negative items.  Charge-Offs, just like collections, also hold your scores down - so even if you're doing everything right, you won't see as much movement in scores as you should - including the gain from such a huge drop in util (great job on that!).

And yes,  the dispute for the incorrect account information would be taken up with the CRA.   My apologies - i mentioned a 623 dispute in the previous post but I misread and thought this item was being reported by the original creditor, not a collection agency (623 only applies to the OC).   If, after you dispute with the bureaus, they verify as accurate, then dispute with the CA for innacurate reporting - there's a chance the bureaus won't be able to verify given the incorrect account number.

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tmr

Awesome, thanks again for the information!!

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:

I think I'm going to try this with Transunion today, and see how it affects scores.  I'll leave the other CRAs alone for now as to not effect my middle mortgage score!

Thanks!

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

tmr...

I went to creditkarma and attempted an online dispute for the EE on Transunion.  No dice.  This is the error message I received:

It looks like we're unable to submit your request online. But you can still make a dispute request with TransUnion by mailing them this form or by calling them at 1-800-916-8800.

So, I created a dispute account with Transunion and submitted the request online.  I chose "item is too old to report".  I added notes there to thanking them and asking for the early exclusion.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll let you know what happens with this one!

Thanks!

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

tmr...

I think I'm on to something with my scores.  I may just be extremely lucky, but I think my 20 or so late payments on child support are not being calculated into my scores, but I think that the CS account is lending itself very well into the length of my credit file.  I'm going to get this TU NFCU charge off and see if I can ramp up my scores quickly first quarter or second quarter of this year.  I could be right up there with ya.  I'm holding myself back at the moment because I'm in the middle of a mortgage process...hope to close  beginning of March.  Then if my scores don't suffer too much, and my scores jum by removing my charge-off, I'm going on a spree.  Then, into the garden and watch my scores shoot up.  Fingers crossed.

What did you do in 4-5 months to get your scores into the 750s??  Just curious.  

Message 8 of 13
thornback
Senior Contributor

Check this out regarding FICO and Child Support: https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/delinquent-child-support-credit-score.php 

I meant to respond to your last post about the early exclusion for TU, but I forgot (sorry) --  you can also call them and ask them to do it over the phone, it would be faster than a dispute through their website.  If the agent pretends to not know what you are talking about, it's probably because they are not authorized to remove - so ask, politely, for a supervisor and they'll do it. 

As for my scores... I was fairly lucky.   I started out with 2 unpaid charge-offs, 1 collection, and a state tax lien on all 3 reports.   I hadn't read anything about repairing credit at the time so did what I thought was best.   

The charge-offs (First Premier and Fingerhut)

First Premier:

Credit Limit: $425

Balance Charged-Off: $390

Last Payment 12/2013

Reported with 93% util. 

I Paid it in full. Once it updated to show paid-charge off/closed/$0 balance - I received an immediate score jump (the 10/8/2017 scores in my sig).  Charged off 4 years ago so I think the damage to my score is lessening.  I'm leaving it alone for now. 

FingerHut: 

Charged off in 5/2011 for delinquent balance of 707;  Reporting $0 and closed.  So I ignored it till this month (this is the one I just had removed early from TU, will request from EQ in March,  doesn't show in EX).  TU gave me a 10 point jump for removal.

--  opened card # 1 - secured from USAA.

Collection Account -  Verizon $770

I paid the collection company in full -- this was before I learned about pay for delete (PFD).   Once I paid it, i read about PFD and was so upset that I didn't know about it before I paid.  But then, I read about Goodwill letters.  So I figured, what the heck?  I'll try it.  I Googled till I found the CEO information for the collection agency that I paid and I emailed him directly with my sob story and begged for forgiveness and a second chance.  He responded 2 days later telling me good luck with my future and that they would delete the Collection.  And the following month, they did.   That gave me a jump to 745 on EX.  TU and EQ didn't move much - maybe 10 points - because of the tax lien. 

-  opened card #2 -  Amex blue cash everyday -- (they only pull EX so it worked out)

- opened card # 3 -- TD Cash Credit  (I bank with them so...  and they only pull EX). 

Tax Lien - 

It was unpaid.  EX either already removed it or never reported it, I don't know.  But it showed on TU and EQ.   So - I read up on how to remove.  I disputed based on the new NCAP rules.  That didn't work - TU verified as accurate, EQ updated to paid/released (it wasn't).   

I was also concered that the lien would be refiled at the end of 2018 because it's a GA state lien, and after 7 years of no collection of funds, they can refile for another 7 years - which would allow the bureaus to report it for another 10 years from that file date.   So I paid the lien in full.  Then I went back to disputing.  Once the lien was paid in full, I was removed from the GA delinquent tax payer list and received a letter of tax clearance.  I disputed with TU for FCRA violations in reporting inaccurate and unverifed information and presented them with a copy of my tax clearance letter.  They apologized (!) and removed it.   My score shot up to where it is now. 

EQ is a different story - because they are sort of reporting it correctly now since I did finally pay the lien and it is released.  But they updated it to reflect paid in November 2011 - which would make the drop off date November 2018.   But, in reality, I didn't pay it till December of 2017 - and if they were to find that out and update it again, the lien could stay on my report till 2021  (tax liens stay on report for 10 years or 7 years from date of payment, whichever is shorter).   So - because EQ "claims"  they verified through LexisNexis,  I placed a security freeze and opted out of LexisNexis - this suppresses public record data, supposedly preventing entities, such as credit bureaus, from viewing your data.   I then obtained a copy of my full disclosure from LexisNexis,  disputed the lien they had on file, and once I received confirmation that the lien was removed from their database, I opened a new dispute for EQ demanding a method of verification from their last investigation which requests they provide whatever documentation they used to verify this lien or delete it.  I also mentioned that LexisNexis has no such records available.  Hopefully this will work and they will delete.  

I filed my disputes through CFPB and BBB - I did not mail any letters becuase I'm impatient and I did not dispute through their websites because waiting 30 days was just too difficult.  CFPB and BBB both require initial responses in 15 days.  This worked great for me, not for others - some have better luck disputing by certified mail. 

I keep my util at 2% or less and pay in full every month. 

That's my story... 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 9 of 13
thornback
Senior Contributor

Another data point - I didn't have any other credit cards prior to the three I mentioned in that post.  So I received extra score boosts for obtaining credit.  This also gave an extra boost for having a good credit mix because I have student loans that are all in good standing.  So I think this is why, even with a short AAOA,  I was able to hit the 750s so quickly. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.