Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute Help

Hey All,

I am new here. Back in 2014 I was in an abusive relationship. I unfortunately allowed him to control a lot in my life including my finances. I had 4 credit card accounts that were open and paid on time.

When I left him, he continued to use his cards (he was an authorized user). I wasnt aware of the usage until things were maxed out and way past due. I was left with thousands in purchases I did not make. I was 18, naive, and didnt think to either take the card or cancel his. I just knew I wasnt using mine.

I have been trying to dispute the cards to get them off my report. I finally got one removed (YAY) but cannot get the others. Does anyone have any advice? I am trying to purchase a home. These werent my charges and he will not give me money for anything he racked up.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dispute Help

Legally, as the account holder, they were your charges.

An authorized user is not legally responsible.

Many account holders will not provide an actual card to the AU, thus preventing them from making charges.

Unless he entered into some specific and separate contract with you that made him responsible, you are the only responsible party, and the creditors can only seek repayment from you.

A dispute must assert some inaccuracy in the reporting, and having let an AU make purchases on the account is not an inaccuracy that would lead to any requirement to remove reporting of your obligation.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.