Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute frustration! Help!

tag
Rwp2906
Established Member

Dispute frustration! Help!

I am beyond frustrated with my last negative. I had a judgment with Capital One through Rubin and Rothman. I settled the account, satisfaction of judgment was filed. They initially reported partial payment, which I know happens, but they never removed the last balance. I have disputed the account, sent copies of everything and it comes back verified. I contacted Rubin and Rothman and the person won’t return my call. I contacted Capital One and they said they don’t own the account. What can I do? Please help

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dispute frustration! Help!

@Rwp2906 wrote:

I am beyond frustrated with my last negative. I had a judgment with Capital One through Rubin and Rothman. I settled the account, satisfaction of judgment was filed. They initially reported partial payment, which I know happens, but they never removed the last balance. I have disputed the account, sent copies of everything and it comes back verified. I contacted Rubin and Rothman and the person won’t return my call. I contacted Capital One and they said they don’t own the account. What can I do? Please help

Who is reporting this?

Message 2 of 7
Rwp2906
Established Member

I assume it's Rubin and Rothman because it shows on all 3 credit reports. 

Message 3 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Rwp2906 wrote:

I assume it's Rubin and Rothman because it shows on all 3 credit reports. 

Ok, they are breaking the law, the FCRA says one must report accurate information if they do report, this is not accurate, they settled it yes but they also must 0 out the balance. File a complaint with the CFPB. 

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Adding: Any creditor that has sold an account must also report a 0 balance.

Message 4 of 7
Rwp2906
Established Member

Thank you so much! 

Message 5 of 7
AZEsq
Regular Contributor

If you have letters and/or your payment amounts showing PIF, send them a letter attaching that information and demand that they comply with FCRA and remove it, via certified mail.

It will take some time, but they should update how it is reporting. If it was settled for less than the full amount due, they can legally report that, which is different from a PIF.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Once you have disputed and the reporting has been verified as accurate, you then acquire the right under FCRA 623(c) to bring your own civil action and get the court to order correction.

If you dont want to immediately bring a civil action, within which you can also seek damages if you also show that their lack of update was willful or negligent, you can alternately handle administratively by filing a complaint witht he CFPB, which will then result in a letter from the CFPB asking the furnisher of the information for explanation and response.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.