Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute issue

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute issue

I filed a dispute with transunion for my old nelnet accounts that were close and refinanced. Stated statements never received due to change of address. They changed a few delinquencies but still not removed the account. I tried to get early exclusion due to them suppose to fall off may 2018. She said she couldn't because there is no reported estimated time to fall off. If I just had a dispute and information isn't properly updated shouldn't it be removed? Should I file a dispute with the CFB or who ever it is? Note that on eq the accounts were updated with no history and baddies removed but I never even disputed them on eq. Confused, whats my next step?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dispute issue

The intent of the FCRA dispute process is to get inaccurate information corrected, and not to require deletion of accurate information based on some reporting inaccuracy.

First, a dispute is limited only to the verification, correction or deletion of the information that is asserted to be inaccurate.

Deletion of an entire account is never mandated unless the dispute finds the debt itself is unverifiable.

Second, the furnisher always has the opportunity to verify or correct the accuracy before any issue of deletion is raised, and then deletion only applies to the specific item of information that is subject of the dispute.  In many cases, such as an open date of an account, the item is a mandated item of information, and thus only verification or correction is mandated, not any deletion.

What exactly did you dispute as inaccurate based on some statements not being received, and what was the finding by the CRA in the dispute?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m confused. When nelnet takes over old loans and closes them as paid it’s supposed to be paid as agrees. How did it get baddies?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, a few were removed and even though we both agree it will fall off around April 2018 she can't grant an EE due to there being no estimated fall off date listed on the file. Sounds bogus to me. I received the baddies because I didn't pay attention to coming out of deferment when I got divorced and moved back in 2011.
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Paid or pays as agreed is reported as the Current Status, which reflects that the account is no longer delinquent.

It is a snapshot of the account status only as of their last reporting, and reflects no prior or historical status or payment history information.

Payment history derogs are not removed by return of a previously delinquent account to a current status of paid (closed) or pays as agreed (still open).

The CRA reporting manual clearly instructs creditors not to report prior payment history information if it is currently of record, so if the issue is one of a transferred account reporting duplicate derogs to those already reported by a prior creditor, that is a disputable inaccuracy.

However, removal of derogs is not mandated by return of an account to paid or pays as agreed good-standing.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have same problem as you... jabrown

so frustrating

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upon further reading it seems I should give TU another shot. Apparently they like to call their EE a dispute even though it's not an actual dispute. I'll update with results when I get them.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.