cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute question

tag
jprebb

Dispute question

Hi all!  I recently disputed a collection account with Equifax and I received their response, which was to delete the account from my credit file.  Do I need to go through this same process with the other CRAs?

Thanks,

JP

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Re: Dispute question

Yes.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 2 of 4
jprebb

Thanks for the reply.

JP

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It depends.

If you dispute any information in your credit report, it will result in one of three outcomes.

The accuracy if disputed information can be corrrected, it can be verified as accurate as reported, or if the information is not verified, it must be deleted, and cannot be reinserted until the verification is provided.

If the debt collector, upon receving notice of the dispute, choose to simply delete their reporting, the dispute is dead because there is no longer reporting of any inaccuracy in your credit report.  They did not state that it could not be verified, they just deleted.  In that case, they dont have to delete with the other CRSa unless they agree that it is actually inaccurate.

However, if their reason for deletion was their agreement that they could not verify, then they are required to notify each of the CRAs to which the collection was reported of their determination.

If you received no clear statement that the debt collector notified the CRA that they agreed with the inaccuracy, then you will have to dispute separately with each CRA to which they have reported. 

However, if you have a clear statement of inaccuracy, they have the obligation to delete with all CRAs without your need to file a dispute with each.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.