Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute with Equifax?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute with Equifax?

Long story short, my husband had x2 collections on his credit report. Just last week, we did PFDs for both of them. We really want them to go away to get a mortgage loan. One of the PFD's has already been completed on Experian and Transunion. The other one was paid, but hasn't been taken off the report yet for Experian and Equifax. I'm not panicking yet; I know sometimes this can take a couple weeks, and we have a letter documenting their agreement.

The issue I have is with Equifax. One of the collections we paid off is actually listed on their report twice. It's for the exact same collection, exact same amount, exact same original creditor. It looks like the collection was sold/transferred from one collection agency to another. But both are still showing the full amount is owed ($276). From one agency (Debt Recovery Solutions), it says "Opened 2/2018," and the second agency (Commonwealth Financial) it says "Opened 3/2018." From what I've read, Debt Recovery can leave their original entry on there, but it should show a $0 balance and indicate sold/transferred or something. (Correct me if I'm wrong here.) 

Anyway, Commonwealth Financial was who we paid, as they were the last to update, and because their account appeared both on Experian and Equifax, where as the Debt Recovery one was only on Equifax. But the fact that the same collection is being reported twice as owed on Equifax is definitely a concern. Should we be disputing this? Waiting to see what happens when the PFD goes through? Calling the collection agency and demanding they update? We are due to apply in July, and I'd like to take care of this long before then.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dispute with Equifax?

only 1 collector at a time can report, dispute the first as not having collection authority

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.