cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputed Collector Adjusting Balance on my credit report with no contact from me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputed Collector Adjusting Balance on my credit report with no contact from me

I had a six figure medical bill that was PAID by my insuance but was ALSO sold to a collection agency.

I disputed with collector immediately (24hrs after receiving their alleged bill to me) and let them know that this account had been paid.  

They reported me to two bureaus but did not send me the requested information I asked for to prove to me that I owed them anything.  

I have asked the bureaus to valadate debt.  Initial bureaus' response  was that the debt was 'validated' with no proof of what information they used to valadate the debt. Just that simple statement.  

I re-submitted request for validation to bureaus asking for all documentaton they used to valadate debt be sent to me.  

While waiting for bureaus' responses, ie; less than 30 days since I sent request for second validation request, collector has adjusted the balance on my reports THREE times in one month althought I have had NO CONTACT with them nor did I ever send them any payment of any kind or even have further communication or correspondence after the initial letter informing them that this account was paid. 

It seems that there are so many violations here that need to be reported per FDCP.  

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Disputed Collector Adjusting Balance on my credit report with no contact from me

The big-3 CRAs entered into an agreement with the offices of the AG of multiple states a couple of years ago in settlement of pending civil litigation, agreeing to remove any medical collection if shown to have been paid via insurance.

Removal thus does not require any dispute or validation.

It only requires that you submit proof to the CRA that the debt was paid via insurance, and they will remove the reported collection based on that settlment agreement. 

It is only an admin issue between you and the CRA, with no involvement of the reporting debt collector.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.