Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputed dispute?

tag
trix_r_4_kids
Regular Contributor

Disputed dispute?

I've been working to clean up my credit.  One of my financial goals is to buy a house.  I know from reading the forum, that all dispute comments need to be removed from my CR before I apply for a mortgage.

When I contacted Experian, I told the CSR that I wanted any and all dispute comments removed from my report.  I identified the 2 specific tradelines that had dispute comments.  The comments stated "This item was updated from our processing of your dispute in Aug 2010."

Imagine my surprise when I got an e-mail from Experian this morning notifying my that my dispute results are ready.  When I looked at the update, it said "This item was updated from our processing of your dispute in Apr 2013."

What the fudge!?!?  I wanted the dispute comments REMOVED, not updated!!!  What do I do now???

I used to post my scores here. However, I'm prone to motion sickness and the ups and downs were nauseating.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Disputed dispute?

Once a dispute is concluded, the CRA must update the dispute code to reflect that fact.

The prior dispute is a fact of life, and they are not required to delete all dispute comments, they are required to update to reflect its conclusion.

If the comment does not reflect that the dispute is concluded, I would call the CRA and remind them of their responsibility to maintain the accuracy of your credit file.

I would wait to file a formal dispute until the informal approach fails to yield results.

You want to avoid the filing of a dispute to contest the coding of a dispute.  That will start the vicous cycle anew..

Message 2 of 4
trix_r_4_kids
Regular Contributor

Robert, thank you for your response.

I called EX today to follow up.  They said the dispute comments are visible on their / my side but will not be visible when a creditor pulls the file.

I used to post my scores here. However, I'm prone to motion sickness and the ups and downs were nauseating.
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

That makes no sense to me.

The only value I see for posting notice of a pending dispute in a consumer's file is to inform others that the consumer is contesting the accuracy of informtion in their file.

With parts of FICO scoring impacted by a pending dispute status, one pulling your CR would need to know that any score might be skewed as a result of a pending dispute.

To block that info from view by others would make such a flag almost useless, as both the consumer and CRA are already aware of the dispute.

I would surmise that credit reports pulled by others do show the presence of pending disputes.

Maybe others on the site who pull CRs other than their own can share their experience..........

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.