cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputes online-attach proof? How to remove disputes?

tag
House2021
Established Contributor

Disputes online-attach proof? How to remove disputes?

Can I do a dispute online and attach proof to my dispute? Can I do it through the myFico website or do I have to do it direct with each bureau? It's a true legitimate dispute, it's not showing paid. Additionally, how can I get dispute comments removed for items previously disputed? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disputes online-attach proof? How to remove disputes?

To remove previous dispute comments you first ask the creditor to remove them, then you go to the CRAs directly with phone calls if they wont do it.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you send via snail mail, you can include anything of relevance.

You can also provide relevant comments.

The CRAs established online disputes for their benefit, and not primarily for benefit to the consumer in documentation of a dispute.

They simplify and limit documentation ability to their advantage, not yours.

If you have significant supporting documentation or arguments, I would suggest forgoing an online dispute, and simply do it via mail........

Message 3 of 5
House2021
Established Contributor

Thank you so much that was real helpful! If I do a snail mail, will they open the dispute letter with the attached proof and resolve it right then and there or will they update my credit report to say disputed and then sit on it for up to 30 days? Basically if I send my letter with proof of payment is that sufficient or do they see that proof and still give the creditor time to respond? I've never done a mail in dispute. 

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the disputed information was reported to the CRA by a party ("furnisher"), FCRA 611(a)(2)  requires the CRA to send a copy of the dispute along with all relevant information to the furnisher within 5 days of receipt of the dispute.

The furnisher must then investigate and resppond back to the CRA within the 30-day dispute period.  See FCRA 623(b).

The CRA then completes reinvestigation of the dispute based on all information, and sends the NOtice of Results of Reinvestigation to the consumer.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.