cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing Account After Payoff

tag
Gill7O2

Disputing Account After Payoff

I have a charge off account that im about settle.

Creditor explained that once paid, it'll take up to 45-days to report to bureaus and then (potentially) another 30-45-days to reflect on my credit report.

Does it make sense dispute the account immediately after it's paid to speed up the process? Or would that mess things up?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Disputing Account After Payoff

They'll be nothing to dispute. It will update to $0 balance. Then fall off 7 yrs after the first 30 day late that led to a CO.

Message 2 of 4
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Gill7O2 wrote:

I have a charge off account that im about settle.

Creditor explained that once paid, it'll take up to 45-days to report to bureaus and then (potentially) another 30-45-days to reflect on my credit report.

Does it make sense dispute the account immediately after it's paid to speed up the process? Or would that mess things up?

@Gill7O2, Probably best not to dispute, especially with Equifax. They are known to really screw things up.

As my late dad used to say 'Let sleeping dog's lay"  ... best to let it play out. ..JMO

Message 3 of 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Once it's reported to the bureaus, it should only take a few days or so to actually reflect on your rreports. But no, don't dispute, it'll just mess things up. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.