Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing Collections

I recently noticed a new collections my report.  I disputed it through Equifax and it came back saying it was veryified.  I then sent a certified Dept Validation Letter to the collection agency requesting additional information on the debit.  After 30+ days I have not heard back from them.

What is my next step to have this removed from my credit report as I believe it is in error.  Any help that anyone can lend would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
collics
Established Contributor

Re: Disputing Collections

Who is the collection agency?

Is it a valid debt?

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The collection agency is 11 Charter Communications and I don't believe it is a valid debt.  That's why I sent to them a Debt Validation Letter, which I didn't receive a response back.

Message 3 of 5
vntrsc
Frequent Contributor

According to the FDCPA, the right to debt validation is triggered only after receiving an initial communication and the 30-day validation notice.  Finding a collection entry on one's credit report is not considered to be an initial communication.   Therefore, the right to request validation under the Act has not been triggered.

When the right to debt validation has been triggered, a consumer must send the request within 30 days of receiving the 30-day notice.  There is no time limit for the debt collector to respond.  He can take as long as he chooses to respond but cannot continue collection efforts until he validates.  In fact, he never has to respond at all as long as he never attempts to collect again.  

Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The collection agency is 11 Charter Communications and I don't believe it is a valid debt.  That's why I sent to them a Debt Validation Letter, which I didn't receive a response back.

This sounds line Charter Comms in house collection dept, an OC cannot be DVed that applies to actual CAs only. You might call Charter and ask what this is all about and if you deem it to be fraudulent you can use the ID Theft laws afforded you in the FCRA to have it removed from your CRs.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect-Yourself/td-p/2059499

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.