cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing Different info on all 3 reports.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing Different info on all 3 reports.

I have started reporting my closed Walmart card with all 3 bureaus. I have 3 different reports on it. It all started with a goodwill adjustment from 2015 that removed March to Aug late payments which were all 90 days late. All 3 did that. Experian also removed September which was 60 days late also. TU and EQ removed Feb also in addition to Mar-Aug. I have no idea why they would do this and either did Synchrony. 

I have tried talking to the EX office from Synchrony who said it was too late to go back to 2015 and that they couldn't control what the CRAs did. 

My first round of letters from right after Thanksgiving haven't done much. I just received a letter from Experian stating they cannot do anything because each CRA interprets your report different and all that BS.  

Synchrony claims they don't know which one is correct and I have 3 different reports. I had demanded each one delete the tradeline, but that didn't seem to work. Is there a specific FCRA law I can put in the next letters so I can get this cleared up? 

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputing Different info on all 3 reports.

Any suggestions? Would like to get the second round of letters sent out this week. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have started reporting my closed Walmart card with all 3 bureaus. I have 3 different reports on it. It all started with a goodwill adjustment from 2015 that removed March to Aug late payments which were all 90 days late. All 3 did that. Experian also removed September which was 60 days late also. TU and EQ removed Feb also in addition to Mar-Aug. I have no idea why they would do this and either did Synchrony. 

I have tried talking to the EX office from Synchrony who said it was too late to go back to 2015 and that they couldn't control what the CRAs did. 

My first round of letters from right after Thanksgiving haven't done much. I just received a letter from Experian stating they cannot do anything because each CRA interprets your report different and all that BS.  

Synchrony claims they don't know which one is correct and I have 3 different reports. I had demanded each one delete the tradeline, but that didn't seem to work. Is there a specific FCRA law I can put in the next letters so I can get this cleared up? 

I'm no expert, but I'll take a stab at this one!

If they are incorrect, you should dispute them.  You should write dispute letters to the original creditor OC (Synchrony) demanding that they fix the inaccuracies that have been reported.  If it reports inaccurate any time between the time it posts to your CRs, and the time it is permanently removed, then they have to fix the inaccuracies.  That's all there is to it

As far as which references to the actual law to include in your letters, I'll let someone much more experienced than I answer that one.

If you are afraid that they will reverse the late payments that they fixxed, you might consider leaving it alone.  Just depends upon what you are trying to accomplish.

Best of luck!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll go ahead and add that the 3 separate credit bureaus don't have to report that same information!!  That's a fact!!

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Once information has been reported to a CRA, the furnisher of that information is required under FCRA 623(a)(2) to promptly update that reporting so as to maintain its current accuracy.

As for the CRA, FCRA 607(b) mandates that whenever a CRA prepares a credit report, it shall follow reasonable procedures to assure the accuracy of the information in that report.

Those two provisions of statute are the basis for requiring the furnisher and the CRA to maintain accurate credit reporting.

If you requesting good will adjustments to previously reported information, any deletion would come about based on instructions provided by the creditor in their actual reporting to the CRA.  If your issue is that the CRAs are deleting information without any reporting by the creditor instructing that deletion, I would assert a violation of FCRA 607(b).

As an aside, it is not necessary that each CRA show the same monthly delinquencies, but it is necessary that the CRAs have reasonable basis for removal of any reporting.  While it is permissible for a CRA to decline to remove some information if it considers its removal to lead to incomplete information, such as their policy that a creditor not delete derogs based on payment of a debt, it is unclear as to what would be a reasonable basis for a CRA to delete information without a showing that it is inaccurate, or without any request for deletion from the creditor.

The CRA would at least owe an explanation of the reasonableness of any action taken on their own to alter contents of their credit reports.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

All 3 have deleted the GW adjustment, and I have a copy of the adjustment, but like I said some went a step further and deleted more in addition to what Syncb said to. I have contacted Syncb they claim they don't know how it got like that and claim they can't do anything about it. 

So in my fairness, I wrote to all 3 to dispute the tradeline since Syncb said they have no clue, how would each CRA know which report is actually correct?

I got a response back from EX that said we cannot adjust or delete the tradeline based on this proof.  So I will write back again and claim how do they know they are reporting accurate information if Syncb doesn't even know. 

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The dilemma you face is that if one CRA deletes more info than was requested by the furnisher, then it is no longer in your credit report, and thus cannot be disputed as being inaccurate.

The fact that one CRA does not show a monthly delinquency is not basis for showing that its reporting by another CRA is inaccurate.

You can, rather than dispute the accuracy of their reporting, alternately dispute the completeness.  FCRA 611 permits disputes of either the accuracy or completeness of reported info.  However, consumers rarely if ever will dispute the lack of reporting of a delinquency with one CRA as being incomplete reporting, based on a showing that the furnisher reported it to another CRA.  That will result in addition of the delinquency to each CRA, which is normally not desirable.

I would not recommend disputing inconsistency in monthly delinquency reporting to the three CRAs, as it will usually result in the addition of each and every delinquency to each CRA.

If it is shown that the CRA deleted on its own, and a deletion was not reported by the furnisher, then you have a different issue.

You could dispute on the basis that the CRA is in violation of its 607(b) mandate to accurately report information in its files, but again, that may result in the addition of more derogs.

Bottom line is that correction of accuracy or completeness of reporting does not mandate, as a penalty for inaccuracies, the deletion of all reporting or of the entire account.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.