Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing Tax Lien

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing Tax Lien

Hello,

My husband and I each have a released state tax lien from 2010 showing on our credit reports from two of the three CRA's. When I do a land record search in the county for which we reside, there is no tax lien showing.  Is this something that can be disputed?  

Thank You

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputing Tax Lien

Hello,

What state was the tax lien filed in?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Michigan

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If the tax lien isnt yours then yes you can dispute the inaccurate information. If it was yours they remain on file for 7 years from date of release and the correct thing to do would be to get the state to withdraw the lien so they can be removed from your CR or if they are close to drop off call or write the CRAs asking that they be excluded early.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the lien is yours I would contact the Office of Collections and ask that the lien be withdrawn since it's released. If they agree it may take some follow up work like disputing with the credit bureas. Michigan state tax info below. If it's not your lien I'd file a police report claiming identity theft and use the report to dispute it with the CBs.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/taxes/TBOR_199483_7.pdf

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.