Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing With EXPERIAN

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing With EXPERIAN

Did they lock me out?? I need to dispute some inquires.

5 months ago, I disputed my rehabbed student loans (which were removed).

Can you only dispute once with them?

I had to buy a new car 2 weeks ago & I told the finance rep AND the car salesman, specifically, that I will only allow them to run my credit to 3 banks. I specifically told them that I do not care if it only counts as one point, I do not want a bunch of inquiries on my reports because of my home buying  goals next year !! I did not sign off on anything allowing them to run my credit to 9 different banks. When I questioned them at the dealership, they never wanted to answer my question directly. They always wanted to change the subject to buying the Zurich warranty.

When I sat down to sign papers, I questioned the new finance guy of how many banks did they run my credit to... He claims, that there must of been a lack of communication.  I told him that I wanted to know the number of banks & he told me that he was having computer issues trying to figure out the number of inquiries, but said it wasn't very many because apparently they got the best rate quickly. (It was a decent rate of 8% - nothing impressive - but then again I don't have impressive credit) .... Anyway, I got the alerts when I got home. Although I didn't get any score drops, I noticed that on both Experian & Transunion, I have 9 inquiries each. I even saw inquiries from Santander, Wells Fargo & Capital One which were the 3 banks I SPECIFICALLY said I did not want a loan through.

How can I dispute on Experian? Maybe I should call, I hate to have to do that. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputing With EXPERIAN

Clarification : They're saying that I have to BUY a new report in order to dispute anything online. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I had to buy a new car 2 weeks ago & I told the finance rep AND the car salesman, specifically, that I will only allow them to run my credit to 3 banks. I specifically told them that I do not care if it only counts as one point, I do not want a bunch of inquiries on my reports because of my home buying  goals next year !! I did not sign off on anything allowing them to run my credit to 9 different banks. When I questioned them at the dealership, they never wanted to answer my question directly. They always wanted to change the subject to buying the Zurich warranty.

When I sat down to sign papers, I questioned the new finance guy of how many banks did they run my credit to... He claims, that there must of been a lack of communication.  I told him that I wanted to know the number of banks & he told me that he was having computer issues trying to figure out the number of inquiries, but said it wasn't very many because apparently they got the best rate quickly. (It was a decent rate of 8% - nothing impressive - but then again I don't have impressive credit) .... Anyway, I got the alerts when I got home. Although I didn't get any score drops, I noticed that on both Experian & Transunion, I have 9 inquiries each. I even saw inquiries from Santander, Wells Fargo & Capital One which were the 3 banks I SPECIFICALLY said I did not want a loan through.

Regardless, they are NOT going to hurt you next year come mortgage app time. Loan officers are generally up on these things and know that that sort of thing is common.

Message 3 of 8
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Within a year those queries will have little to no impact on your score. So I would say don't worry and I know I would be pissed too if I were you
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Regardless, they are NOT going to hurt you next year come mortgage app time. Loan officers are generally up on these things and know that that sort of thing is common.

And besides that, you simply cannot "dispute" inquiries. The CRA will simply tell you that they are a factual event and to go back to the whoever pulled the report to try to rectify it.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Consumer authorization only applies if the party does not have a permissible purpose.

If you are seeking credit, they have permissible purpose to pull your credit report without any specific premission or restrictions you may orally attempt to apply.

A dispute will be denied unless they lacked permissible purpose.  Your "limitations" will not be investigated.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Respectfully, I have to disagree. I specifically made clear that I did not wish to seek credit with a few of the banks that they pulled my credit for. I NEVER wanted a loan with these places, nor did I apply for credit with these banks. It's not right. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sucks, but I think you're screwed on this. It's the main reason I would never recommend going through a dealership for financing unless you had sparkling credit. You may have told them not to, but my guess is their computer system doesn't allow picking and choosing. I would also think that in order for the dealer to use the lenders on all deals, they're contractually unable to exclude certain lenders on a case by case basis. 

Your beef is with the dealer, who either straight up lied to you, or misled you, and that's crappy. At that point I wouldn't have bought a car there. 

Sorry, but if you're looking to finance a house next year, these inquiries won't really matter by then

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.