Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing a Stubborn Tradeline

tag
Makingstrides
Valued Member

Disputing a Stubborn Tradeline

I'm going to try to make a long story short. I have a Charge Off on my report from Rise which is apparently an installment account. I've been disputing the ownership of this account through TU since May 2016. The account shows opened on April 2014. I've even sent a certified letter which they signed for asking for proof of ownership and informing Rise that I'm formally disputing. Letter was signed for on February 2019. They didn't respond with proof or update my report showing that I was disputing it as they should have done according to the FCRA 611. Just reached out to TU again asking them to remove the account since Rise is in violation. TU stated that they could not remove it Smiley Sad. They said that I could reach out to the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Financial Reporting Agency for help. Any thoughts or tips out there?

Gardening Since 03/2018

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Disputing a Stubborn Tradeline

Is it your account?
Message 2 of 6
Makingstrides
Valued Member

No. I don't recall ever opening an installment loan with Rise. During that time frame I opened about 2 installment loans but they were both with Security Finance and paid with no lates. 

Gardening Since 03/2018

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FCRA 611 is only for disputes filed with a CRA.

There are two separate dispute processes under the FCRA: a dispute filed via a CRA under FCRA 611, and a direct dispute sent directly to the party who furnished the information to the CRA pursuant to FCRA 623(a)(8).. 

If you contact the furnisher of the information directly, it is a "direct dispute" covered under FCRA 623(a)(8), and must identify a specific error in the accuracy of an item of reported information. 

Did your communication with them specifically identify it as a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8)?

If not, the creditor was under no obligation to respond, as it would only be an informal request that they provide the requested information.

Message 4 of 6
Makingstrides
Valued Member

I appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me. When I wrote Rise I did specially tell them that I am disputing the account. Not only asking for proof of ownership. Is that what you’re asking?
Gardening Since 03/2018

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

But what was the asserted inaccuracy in their reporting, which is necessary in order to establish a dispute, and thus impose a requirement to investigate.....?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.