Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing credit inquiries question

tag
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

Disputing credit inquiries question

Hello:

I am in the process of disputing a few credit inquiries that I am not sure that I authorized.

I have a short letter to send to the companies that made the inquiries.

The letter will include my address and full name, but what else do I include with/in the letter? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disputing credit inquiries question

@ilzhoefer wrote:

Hello:

I am in the process of disputing a few credit inquiries that I am not sure that I authorized.

The letter will include my address and full name, but what else do I include with/in the letter? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Std info for a dispute would be SSN & DOB as well. You will also send disputes to the CRA at the same time you send the dispute to the creditor who pulled your report, all CMRR of course, good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@ilzhoefer wrote:

Hello:

Thanks

Are they HP or SP?

Message 3 of 14
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

They are in the sections of my reports that state, they could affect my score (regular Inquiries), so I assume HP.

I have another different section with a lot more that are what I assume are SP and I am ignoring those.

Message 4 of 14
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

Ok, why would I send a dispute at the same time to the CRA and the company? Shouldn't I just dispute with the company and if that doesn't work, go with the CRA or visa versa?

Message 5 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 6 of 14
Officer737
Established Contributor

I was actually wondering this myself. My local CU pulled mine twice to open to my accounts and when I asked about it they replied that they did not pull the reports, so trying to get those two knocked off.

Message 7 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Disputes pertaining to credit inquiries are exempt from the direct dispute process.  16 CFR 660.4(b)(1)(iii).

They are exempted because inquires for your CR are not considered the furnishing of information regarding the consumer, but rather the opposite.

They are requests to see what others have furnished.

Thus, any direct dispute sent to the requestor can be dismissed wihtout any investigation as "frivolous or irrelevant."

If you dispute, it must be via a CRA.

When requesting your CR, the party is required to have provided a statement of their permisible purpose to the CRA.

If they had permissible purpose under any section of FCRA 604, your specific authorization is not required.

With the requestor's statement of their permissible pupose on record, a dispute with the CRA simply stating that you dont remember authorization is unlikley to cut it.

You would need to know their stated permissible purpose, and provide a basis for contesting its accuracy.

Message 8 of 14
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

So are you saying the companies will not delete the inquiry if you dispute it with them directly?

Message 9 of 14
titanofold
Established Contributor

@ilzhoefer wrote:

So are you saying the companies will not delete the inquiry if you dispute it with them directly?

He's saying the companies can't delete as they're not the ones who logged the inquiry. The CRA logged the inquiry.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.