Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing items on the MyFICO reports with the CRAs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing items on the MyFICO reports with the CRAs

I recently pulled my three reports, and found two incorrect collections sitting on my Equifax, and am unsure as to how to file a dispute.  There is no address, but rather they have a phone number listed.  To ask the CRA to validate a debt an address is required, so any feedback on how to proceed?  Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Disputing items on the MyFICO reports with the CRAs

Are you disputing that the collections are not yours? You can do that directly with the CRA's. Go to their website and you can either dispute online or mail them a dispute. You may not see the collection agencies address on the report but EQ should have it on your full file.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Disputing items on the MyFICO reports with the CRAs

What is "incorrect" in the reporting of the collection?

A dispute requries the identification of the specific asserted inaccuracy, and resolution of the dispute only applies to the verification or correction of that inaccuracy, or if neither can be provided, deletion of the collection until correction or verification is provided.

You have the general option of either filing your dispute via a CRA and having them conduct the referral to the debt collector for their investigation, or you can file your dispute directly with the debt collector, thus removing the CRA from the process.

As for asking a CRA to "validate the debt," the debt validation process is solely between the consumer and the debt collector, and the consumer must send a DV request directly to the debt debt collector.  FDCPA 809(a).

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.