Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing two bad marks on my credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing two bad marks on my credit report

I have two bad marks against me recently that I'm in the process of removing. Unfortunately, these are valid negative remarks that I neglected. I've been sent to collections for both of these accounts and I'm speaking with the collection companies in attempts to removing this negative marks against me once paid. Here's the snag: One of the two collection company refuse to sign my settlement letter. My letter simply states that once this debt is paid in full, they agree to remove any negative marks against me and basically delete it from my report. I fear that if I pay this outright, I will not have anymore leverage since the debt would already be settled. Has anyone had any experience with the collection company refusing to sign? Any help would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Disputing two bad marks on my credit report

Unfortunately, if they are valid debts there is not alot you can do.  CA and OC do not have to PFD.  How old are the debts, what state are you in and what are the DOFD/DOLA?
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

realistik wrote:
I have two bad marks against me recently that I'm in the process of removing. Unfortunately, these are valid negative remarks that I neglected. I've been sent to collections for both of these accounts and I'm speaking with the collection companies in attempts to removing this negative marks against me once paid. Here's the snag: One of the two collection company refuse to sign my settlement letter. My letter simply states that once this debt is paid in full, they agree to remove any negative marks against me and basically delete it from my report. I fear that if I pay this outright, I will not have anymore leverage since the debt would already be settled. Has anyone had any experience with the collection company refusing to sign? Any help would be appreciated.

I've read a few where the CA wouldn't sign or said they had to pay right then over the phone. Seemed to have worked out for them, the best I can remember.

Personally, I'd take my chance and if they don't delete, then I'd send it to the CRA. But that may not be everyone's choice, just mine.

I figure I am gonna pay the debt regardless, might as well take what I can get from them, if they won't sign at least I have something I can use to send to the CRA and take my chances with.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies all. I went ahead and paid one of the two. The collection rep. kept her word by sending me a receipt that states 'Paid in Full' and also faxed me a copy of a letter stating that they would report it as deleted to the CRA. I'm hoping I could do just the same with the last one.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.