Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I Need Another Secured CC?

tag
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

Do I Need Another Secured CC?

Good afternoon everyone,

I have recently opened two new credit accounts. I opened a Fingerhut Fresh Start ($230CL) account (which will graduate into a revolving line of credit) and I've opened a secured card with OpenSky ($200 CL). I have a 36 month auto loan with no lates along with a Student Loan - also with no lates. As far as baddies go, I have an old settled CC from BoA showing 3 120-day lates from 2009 and a collection account for $1100.00 from when I had to break a lease back in 2009 as well. These baddies are due to age-off in 2016 and the lease is outside my states SOL. I don't have the funds to PIF/PFD the CA right now so, I'm letting them age-off.

Current score is 580 on EQ and 610 on TU. I don't know my EX score right now. I have a boat-load of hard inquiries from an auto dealership loan-shopping on me.

Should I try to get another secured CC? I'll currently have 2 credit lines open (Fingerhut & OpenSky) and I'm thinking of adding a third for good measure. Can anyone recommend another great secured CC (preferably one that reports as unsecured)? CapOne is out, they denied me for their secured card before. I received a pre-approval from First Premier in the mail, but I know to STAY AWAY from that one...

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Re: Do I Need Another Secured CC?

I have the capital one secured. I've had it two months, and it hasn't started to report yet. 

I know you said that you don't have the funds, but you could send them the SMALLEST amount to probably settle and get your old baddies deleted! I have had success just sending like $30 biweekly. Sounds minimal but it's something! 

I can't wait until my fingerhut account upgrades into revolving!

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 2 of 8
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

I hear good things about Digital Federal CU, and I have two cards (MC and Amex) with USAA which I highly recommend if you're eligible for them. I think Navy Fed has secured cards too and everything they do is good. I've heard SDFCU is reporting secured cards as secured now, which may or may not matter to you. Good luck!
April 1 2014 EQ-555 TU-545 EX- 545
April 29 2014 EQ -714 TU-579 EX- 698
May 1 2014 EQ 721, TU 707, EX 698
All tracked with USAA credit monitoring via Expedia
FICO Score June 10 2014 EQ 719
Message 3 of 8
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, I'm not eligible for the Navy Federal or USAA cards (no military affiliation). I've heard great reviews for the SDFCU card, but I'm not sure how the "secured" reporting would affect my score in the long run as I've heard mixed things. On their website it mentions no credit or income verification which is appealing as I really can't have another hard pull right now.

I was thinking of trying for the US Bank secured card next. I've heard this reports as secured as well, but at least they will graduate you into an unsecured card after showing a year of perfect payment history.
Message 4 of 8
elm84
Contributor

Discover it has a secured offer if you aren't approved for regular line of credit .. It graduates as well

Gardening what I got til Holiday Season 2014
Hoping for a couple 1k+ cards one day
Capital One Secured 300 | Capital One Platinum 300 | Discover It Secured 200 | First Premier 400 | Finger Hut 500 | Victoria Secret 350 | Express 250 |
Dream Cards | Discover It | Chase Sapphire - Slate - Freedom | Amex Everyday Card

Scores | Starting 09/2013 ~ 574 | Current ~ 600 | Goal ~ 720 |
Message 5 of 8
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

I've heard about the Discover IT secured card, but it's not mentioned anywhere on their website. I tried applying for the unsecured version to try and receive the secured counter-offer, but I only saw the standard denial page. A secured card alternative was never offered...
Message 6 of 8
cgussio
New Contributor

In my opinion having another card report positively, even if it says secured, each month is better for improving your credit score. When I first started my journey I read a lot of recommendations on these boards to have 2 - 3 bank revolving card (secured or unsecured) to best improve your history. I didn't take the advice and stuck with just 1. My rebuilding progress has definitely been slower than some folks.

On the flip side, having only 1 card was a good thing for me because it allowed me to really develop some good credit habits. I feel like the way I use this card is very sustainable and is how I will use cards regardless of if my score is 640 or 780. I don't know if I would have developed that same level of comfort if I started off with several cards simply to play the credit game. I hope that makes sense. I think you need to decide what works best for you, the goals you are attempting to accomplish and just how patient you may be.

Message 7 of 8
elm84
Contributor

I am not sure about how that works.. I applied for Discover it and was declined (collections) and was offered the secured card had 3 days to accept or loose the offer

Gardening what I got til Holiday Season 2014
Hoping for a couple 1k+ cards one day
Capital One Secured 300 | Capital One Platinum 300 | Discover It Secured 200 | First Premier 400 | Finger Hut 500 | Victoria Secret 350 | Express 250 |
Dream Cards | Discover It | Chase Sapphire - Slate - Freedom | Amex Everyday Card

Scores | Starting 09/2013 ~ 574 | Current ~ 600 | Goal ~ 720 |
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.