Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have a case?

tag
AnkhCA

Do I have a case?

Hi all;

I filed bankruptcy back In 2010 and was all finished up by early 2011.

Now, I’ve read all the stuff about it things were reported incorrectly it being possible to have it removed etc etc...

I don’t know how I missed it, but three of the credit cards from that bk now show on my account as chargeoffs - cards that were opened in 2014/2015 and closed in 2016, which is entirely incorrect as they were included in the bankruptcy back in 2010.

Is this enough erroneous information to give me a shot at having it all removed earlier than the 9 years? Either way those three accounts show completely false information and are obviously effecting my score, so at the very least do I have a case to have those removed?

Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Do I have a case?

If you had a BK discharge from back in 2010, how then would a credit card opened in 2015/2015 be discharged under the BK?

Regardless, you must first dispute the accuracy of the specific item of information that is considered to be inaccurate, and then the dispute is limited to the verification, correction, or if neither can be done, deletion of only that item of information.

A dispute of a specific item of information is not basis per se for requiring deletion of other information, or of the entire account.

What do you assert as inaccurate?

The open date of the credit card(s), or that they were discharged prior to their open date?

Confusing......

Message 2 of 8
AnkhCA

Apologies for causing confusion.

Those two cards were opened back in 2008/2009... they were charged off in the bk.

So, the dates it states opened are incredibly inaccurate.
Message 3 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Is it on all 3 CRA's or just 1.

Message 4 of 8
AnkhCA

All 3.

And they all have different opened and closed dates for the three late reported credit cards - all reported dates for when the accounts were opened after the bankruptcy... so those are all incorrect across the board, and not even the same across the board.

Oh, and one of them wasn’t reported until Jan 2017.... when it was closed out with the bankruptcy nearly 8 years ago.
Message 5 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Sorry. Are are 3 cards from the same creditor? If not. All accounts that were part of your BK should say IIB and 0 balance and noting else. The DC date should be the last of dates on the account. Nothing else after that. You could dispute it and upload your DC document when you dispute them.

Message 6 of 8
AnkhCA

Two capital one, one Barclays.

All cards started before 2009 and ended by late 2010.

All cards that say on the reports that they were opened in 2013/2014 and closed in 2016 and not reported until as recently 2017.
Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Then file a dispute with the CRA under FCRA 611over the accuracy of the reported open date.

A furnisher must first be provided the opportunity to review/investigate the accuracy of their reporting before they become subject to any liability, so yes, the first step is to file a dispute with the CRA and either get the open date corrected or verified.  See FCRA 623(c).

If they verify the accuracy of the open date and you still disagree, you then have the right to bring civil action asserting liability for inaccurate investigation of your prior dispute.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.