cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a third card??

tag
talmania

Do I need a third card??

I'm just a year over a C13 bk and currently have a Fico of 630.  As I'd like to buy a home in the near future (included in BK but didn't foreclose until 3 months before my discharge-ugh) I want to increase my score.  I have followed the master thread but am super hesitant to pull the trigger on a third card at this point for fear of being declined.  All I have currently is a Capital One Platinum with a 700.00 CL and a Barclays with an initial 1500 CL that was just increased to 3800.  I put minimal charges on them and pay them off completely.  Assuming I was to apply would I be better off trying to get another CapOne or something else?  Thanks all!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do I need a third card??

@talmania wrote:

I'm just a year over a C13 bk and currently have a Fico of 630.  As I'd like to buy a home in the near future (included in BK but didn't foreclose until 3 months before my discharge-ugh) I want to increase my score.  I have followed the master thread but am super hesitant to pull the trigger on a third card at this point for fear of being declined.  All I have currently is a Capital One Platinum with a 700.00 CL and a Barclays with an initial 1500 CL that was just increased to 3800.  I put minimal charges on them and pay them off completely.  Assuming I was to apply would I be better off trying to get another CapOne or something else?  Thanks all!

You need the 3rd bankcard to help boost your Ficos, if you think you will be denied another unsecured you can get a secured card, St Dept FCU has one, its my understanding its a SP to open if you put the funds in savings and then app for it by phone. You need to use those cards not just put minimal charges on them, you can use them to the limit in a months time what you want to do is pay off the balance prior to the statement being cut to control your utilization that gets reported. You want 1 card reporting 1-9% of its individual CL and the other cards at 0.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

look up BoA secured card, they will graudate it to unsecured after a period of time (took me one year), others had success at less time.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If Barclays just increased your CL to 3800, go app for a Cap One QS card. You should be able to get it with no probs.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it better to leave all but one card carrying a 1-9% balance that carries over month to month or, have say three or four cards carrying a 1-2% balance and PIF monthly?  I would have thought if you had say 5 cards and each card had 6% use and was then PIF it would be good.  Is there a source that you can recommend to read up on this and other recommendations to optimize scoring?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep a small balance on one card only, all others PIF. That will maximize your UTI portion of your scores.

Message 6 of 7
talmania

NormanFH thank you very much! I app'd for the QS card and was instantly approved. Much appreciate the advice everyone!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.