Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to respond to an old debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I need to respond to an old debt?

Just received a letter from PRA offering to settle a Capital One account with a current balance of $ 2, 252.72.  Couple of things I need to clear out first, the bottom of the settlement offer choices, it states that "The law limits how long you can be sued on a debt.  Because of the age of your debt, we will not sue you for it, and we will not report to any credit reporting agency."  There was no date when this account was in collection.  It only has seller as Capital One.  Now, I honestly do not remember having an account with Capital One with such balance.  In fact, I know for sure I do not because, for the past ten years, I never have any credit card that is more than $ 1000 SL.  Should I DV this with them or just leave it alone since as stated in the letter, it has been too long, and they cannot do anything about it.  I currently have a collection account with PRA but only for $ 806.  Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Do I need to respond to an old debt?

@Anonymous wrote:

Just received a letter from PRA offering to settle a Capital One account with a current balance of $ 2, 252.72.  Couple of things I need to clear out first, the bottom of the settlement offer choices, it states that "The law limits how long you can be sued on a debt.  Because of the age of your debt, we will not sue you for it, and we will not report to any credit reporting agency."  There was no date when this account was in collection.  It only has seller as Capital One.  Now, I honestly do not remember having an account with Capital One with such balance.  In fact, I know for sure I do not because, for the past ten years, I never have any credit card that is more than $ 1000 SL.  Should I DV this with them or just leave it alone since as stated in the letter, it has been too long, and they cannot do anything about it.  I currently have a collection account with PRA but only for $ 806.  Thank you in advance.

They're fishing, hoping you didn't read the fine print and you'll pay out of fear, even though you won't remember the debt because it doesn't exist. PRA is so shady! It's way outside the SOL - I would ignore it but hold onto the paper in case you need it later as evidence of their flimflam. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 4
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

Me being the smart alec person I am I would send them a one page letter with LOL in huge letters.
Obviously don't do that lol
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

DV them and if they validate it just send them a cease communication letter regarding the time barred debt.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.