cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to verify that this debt collector on behalf of Amex is legit?

tag
delaney1
Established Contributor

Do I need to verify that this debt collector on behalf of Amex is legit?

OI’m thinking no, since Amex doesn’t sell their debt, but maybe Amex should be called just in case?

Situation: very old judgement from Amex, have received many letters over the years with a settlement amount. The debt collector name changes on the letter, but the address is the same. Ready to pay it off. Should I contact Amex first, or just contact the debt collector?

Also, last offer letter expired a few days ago, would it be okay to contact the debt collector regarding that offer. I know we will get another letter in a few months.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Do I need to verify that this debt collector on behalf of Amex is legit?

Who is listed on the judgement with the court?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 7
delaney1
Established Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

Who is listed on the judgement with the court?

Court records show Amex. Over the years, though, settlement letters have come from different companies. The last few years, same address, different company name every few months. The latest is Radius Global.

Message 3 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I would just call Amex. They can direct you to whomever you need to talk to. 

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Debt collectors can have collection authority only by way of assignment from the owner/creditor without having purchased the debt.

Creditors hire debt collectors to assist in collection activities, and the assigned debt collector can report a collection the same as a debt collector who has obtained collection authority by purchase of the debt.

Creditors also will terminate assignment to a prior debt collector and hire a new one if the debt remains unpaid.

Some creditors make a regular practice of such reassignments, such as Verizon.

Legally, the creditor can still accept payment if they have only assigned collection authority to a debt collector, but most of the time they will insist that you contact and pay via their assigned debt collector, as they hired them in order to avoid collection hassles.

An advantage to contacting the debt collector is that if they have reported a collection, you can offer a pay for deletion to the debt collector, and thus additionally seek to remove the collection from your credit report.

Message 5 of 7
delaney1
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

That’s what I was thinking. Do you think it matters if the offer expired a few days ago? We’ve literally been getting a letter every few months for years, with the settlement amount decreasing bit by bit.

Message 6 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@delaney1 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

That’s what I was thinking. Do you think it matters if the offer expired a few days ago? We’ve literally been getting a letter every few months for years, with the settlement amount decreasing bit by bit.

I dont think that matters, they will probably make you the same offer again anyway. If you're ready to settle, they just want the money. I would not call anyone other than Amex directly, though.

If that company is who you should be talking to, they will direct you back to them.

Good luck and I hope you get even better offer 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.