Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I pay collections?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I pay collections?

I'm in the rebuilding stages and now have about 5 positive trade lines. 2 installment loans current and credit cards showing showing zero balance but 1 shows 1% balance. I have 4 charge offs. 2 different collection agencies showing same accounts on 2 different trade lines. The other CA wont PFD. They are small balances that I can pay. Why pay if they dont delete? Even if paid, potential creditors will only see the negative mark. Will most potential creditors see zero balance and think differently? Should I just maintain the positives that I have now? Scores are stuck in the 530ish range.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Do I pay collections?

So they stop updating for the most part. 

It's your choice how to proceed, but if they wont do PFD (dont give up too soon) paying them is the next best thing. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add... they are still reporting as no payments every month
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s why Remedios is saying that paying it is the way to go even if they refuse a PFD. Paying it off stops the updating. At that point it starts to age and your scores can begin to recover.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Were you able to validate the debt with a 609?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to 609 but they all came back as verified. I'm just looking to try to get qualified for an auto loan with NFCU. I know if they deny me,I might can show receipts showing that they are paid.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.