Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think...

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Do you think...

that a collection agency would pretend to be someone on Craigslist buying your item and then serving you when you "meet up"?

My brother thinks that a car repo company is doing this.  Don't you think that is a bit over the top and paranoid?  Why wouldn't they just serve him at his house?

I think he is being paranoid.   The only thing they have on him is his phone #, but he is registered at DMV w/ his address, he works, he pays taxes, it wouldn't be that difficult to find him if they were going to that much trouble.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ceejx
Established Contributor

Re: Do you think...

@Booner72 wrote:

that a collection agency would pretend to be someone on Craigslist buying your item and then serving you when you "meet up"?

My brother thinks that a car repo company is doing this.  Don't you think that is a bit over the top and paranoid?  Why wouldn't they just serve him at his house?

I think he is being paranoid.   The only thing they have on him is his phone #, but he is registered at DMV w/ his address, he works, he pays taxes, it wouldn't be that difficult to find him if they were going to that much trouble.

How would they know it's him, did he put any personal info in the craigslist ad? The email address associated with Craigslist ads are craigslist generated, so unless he put his address or personal phone in the ad and they searched that, i doubt he has much to worry about

Message 2 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

That would be a great way to serve people who would otherwise be unavailable but I've never heard of it happening.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
Jlu
Established Contributor

Does your brother have a history of using cocaine or methamphetamines? Sounds like a paranoid delusion.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 4 of 10
mschang
Regular Contributor

+1

meet them somewhere in walking or biking distance!

Starting Score: EQ FICO 588 EX FICO 587 TU FICO 588
Current Score: EQ FICO 660 EX FICO 642 TU FICO 606
Goal Score: 680
Message 5 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Booner, given what you posted about him in your other thread I think there are likely psychological issues at play that are either caused by or related to his prior addictions.

In my experience, most process servers are not sophisticated enough to come up with a complicated entrapment scanerio like this, it just wouldn't be worth their time.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 10
icanimprove
Established Member

+1  ... Process servers/repo companies  are more likely to attempt contact  him via home address reported to the DMV or creditor and/or business address.

Message 7 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

He should also check out the rules of civil procedure in his jurisdiction.

Many provide, in situtations where normal service has been frustrated, for service by publication in accepted local newspapers, etc.

Message 8 of 10
Madman94044
Regular Contributor

Is he trying to sell the car they are trying to repo?

Staring Score:EQ 649 TU 647 EX 644
Current Score: EQ 786 TU 699 EX 746
Goal Score: 800
Wallet: SF Fire CU $5000 CL Chase Freedom 4000 CL, Chase MP $5000, WellsFargo $6000 CL, Amex Gold NPSL, Cap1 CashRewards $2500 CL, Amex BCP $12000 Discover More $1200 CSP 18000
Message 9 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

hee hee, you guys.  Some very funny and good points made in your replies!

The only personal info was his phone # - he knows the CA has that, he thought there was some way that they could search Craigslist for phone numbers.

I just read him your responses.  He doesn't really exhibit any paranoia in other areas.   Just being sued over this car.  They took it 24 months ago or so, DOFD was a few months prior to that.  I think I read that repo laws are different than other laws ......they didn't follow procedure - such as, they didn't send the notification of how much he owed after the car got auctioned, etc.  I think if he went to Court he would have a good fight based on that....they were supposed to give him written notice within 7 days of taking the car what he would have to pay to get it back....they didn't do any of that.... 

Paranoid or not, I am sure that if they wanted to get a judgment they would go to an old address and "serve" even though he doesn't live there anymore.  Then he would never know.  I've read tons of stories of that here, and maybe me telling him that is causing his paranoia. 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.